Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2015, 07:08 AM

Default Very Early four digit 1903 with a Winchester Barrel? International barrel?

I bought this just because it is different and I thought it was neat. It is a very early four digit 1903 with a 1904 cartouched no bolt stock.

The most interesting thing is, it has a Winchester barrel. I don't know if this barrel is from another type of Winchester rifle and it's been adapted to a 1903, or it was made specifically for the 1903. But it sure seems to be very similar to the profile of a 1903. It's also the exact same length. It is marked for smokeless powder and nickel steel, so it has to be a very early barrel.

The guy that owned this was a match shooter in the teens and 20's. And I sort of suspect this was his match rifle. The trigger has been tuned, and it has a very early 150 yard lyman sight. He was a business owner that supplied diving helmets to the US Navy so I'm sure he had connections.

The only mention of a 1903 Winchester barrel I can find is in Brophy's book. He mentions the early 1920's international rifles had a few Winchester barrels. Is it one of those? I can't really even find any pics of one to compare.

Here is a link to the pics:

http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/cp...ester%20barrel
Old 07-24-2015, 07:31 AM

Hope it turns out to be something rare$,but it could be a model 54,or 70 barrel since they shared the cone breach of the 03.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:57 AM

Those two seem to have a different profile to the barrels, as I sort of thought the same thing when I saw this. I don't know if there was anything earlier?

I should add too, no other markings than the smokeless powder, Winchester proof, and Winchester address logo.

It does have a timing mark to line up on the 1903 receiver.

Yeah I really am stumped to be honest.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:59 AM

I uploaded some pics of the front sight. It just looks like it was made as a 03 barrel.

Old 07-24-2015, 01:24 PM

looks like the Lyman site blade I have on my Krag that had an 03 front sight added to it after the barrel was shortened. Also, that muzzle doesn't look right to me, too flat.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:14 PM

Poor job of fitting the '03 front sight. No need to thump it on and front sight base pin not installed well. Muzzle should have rounded crown as that as the standard of the age, so very odd. Winchester barrels had a very good reputation and finding one should have been easy in tht era. Just wish you more facts, did the owner compete at Perry? Lots of facts missing, sad to say. Could you post more pictures?
Old 07-25-2015, 10:51 PM

These are old guns and the passing of time and owners has provided ample opportunities for anyone to have made a number of personal changes to their original configurations.