Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2019, 09:34 PM

Hi Fellow posters,

I had sometime to size some of my fired HXP cases. I could feel the added force needed on some of the cases while doing my resizing!
The few cases in question always needed to be trimmed, because the body taper in the case was reduced some amount. That extra body material had to go some were!
Did not think about just dropping a few loaded HXP rounds into the die with the primer pin removed. Will try that as soon as I get a chance.

No real issue in a M1 Garand with any of my HXP, had two about a year or so ago that I had a minor issue with. On the second try they fed & fired with no issue.

Good shooting,
broom
Old 02-11-2019, 02:24 PM

You can't drop loaded rounds into a FL sizing die to check anything. The FL die neck sizes cases far smaller than loaded ammo. A friend new to reloading tried to size loaded .223 ammo with a stripped FL die. He compressed the case neck into the bullet and destroyed two bolt carrier groups (split) and a barrel before discussing the problem with me. The pressures most have been enormous. He thought the powder was the problem.... Good Shooting. .

Last edited by ceresco; 02-11-2019 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:35 PM

Hi ceresco,

Of course your correct! That's what happens late at night when I get a NOT SO BRIGHT idea!

I'm sure the light would have come on IF I tried it!
Thanks for the safety reply!

broom
Old 02-11-2019, 11:54 PM

Ceresco, good call on making a body sizing die from cutting the neck off a FL 30-06 die. (I'm not sure the OP really read your solution.) I also have a tight chamber that I reamed to Saami minimum. I usually handload but this will come in handy for "fixing" miscellaneous HXP and Ethiopian to use in a pinch.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2019, 08:26 AM

Just thought to add that an enterprising forum member informed me that he was able to drill out the neck of a Lee?? FL sizing die with a standard HS drill. This is easier than cutting the top off the die (to make a body sizing die). I had assumed that the die would be too hard for common drill bits...but apparently not so. Learn something every day. Good Shooting. .
Old 02-12-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
Just thought to add that an enterprising forum member informed me that he was able to drill out the neck of a Lee?? FL sizing die with a standard HS drill. This is easier than cutting the top off the die (to make a body sizing die). I had assumed that the die would be too hard for common drill bits...but apparently not so. Learn something every day. Good Shooting. .
Would a demill barrel stub work for this checking tool.? Of course, the chamber must be smooth enough to make the insertion consistant and reliable..?
Old 02-12-2019, 04:55 PM

A chamber "stub" is a useful gauge, but it checks case diameters and unless modified does not check the cartridge headspace. Simply running your ammo through your rifle works pretty well....and that does check the headspace dimension as well as case diameters. A body die will also check ammo but it actually "corrects" both excessive diameters and headspace dimensions. BTW, most demilled barrels have a rod driven in and enough welding to ruin the chamber area.... Good Shooting. ...

Last edited by ceresco; 02-12-2019 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:15 PM

Got a fine threaded barrel for a commercial rifle that was pulled for replacement and hack sawed it off. Made a plastic thread on cap for adjustment to headspace and it's very fast to cull the out of spec cartridges. I shoot the out of spec in the Garand for practice and all the rest (85-90%) is used in the 03 or 17. Works great but Ceresco's way will get you there too. I keep the gauge in my shooting stool just in case I need it when I'm already at the range.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:33 PM

Default Checking questionable ammo dem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
A chamber "stub" is a useful gauge, but it checks case diameters and unless modified does not check the cartridge headspace. Simply running your ammo through your rifle works pretty well....and that does check the headspace dimension as well as case diameters. A body die will also check ammo but it actually "corrects" both excessive diameters and headspace dimensions. BTW, most demilled barrels have a rod driven in and enough welding to ruin the chamber area.... Good Shooting. ...
A very good point on the rod being in a barrel. I was thinking about my chrome 03a3 rifle and it was left with a good chamber..but the barrel is a sewer pipe. Guys, I appreciate being able to read about a solution to the HPX 77 woes, because i have nearly a full can and want to be able to safely shoot it..Fartblos, I thank you for sending me the pictures, your device appears to be simple, other than the special cap. Anyway keep up the good articles, since retiring, CMP forums is nightly entertainment here.