Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Leg Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2010, 10:07 PM

Default Another Leg story

I started shooting in competition while in the Navy in 1974 with the Mare Island Rifle and Pistol team. My first pistol match was at the Police Revolver Club in San Francisco. It's closed to the public for matches now, but you can sort of see what it looked like in one of Clint Eastwood's "Dirty Harry" movies.
Back then I shot in several Leg matches but never got close to getting any points. We spent time shooting both pistol and High Power matches in California and Oregon.
I got interested in International matches and participated in the U.S. Shooting Team tryouts in Phoenix in 1981 and 1982 and I shot in L.A. in 1984 at the Olympic Team tryouts.
In 1985 I got recalled to Active Duty, so my shooting in competition stopped for a number of years. When we moved to Texas in 2003 I started shooting Bullseye pistol again. I got my first pistol Leg points at Carthage, Texas in 2006 and placed for points in every match after that, winding up getting the last Leg points at the Dallas Regional in 2007. I went to Perry that year and was presented my badge on stage at the awards ceremony at the end of the pistol matches.
Now I'm working on the rifle badge.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRT View Post
I started shooting in competition while in the Navy in 1974 with the Mare Island Rifle and Pistol team. My first pistol match was at the Police Revolver Club in San Francisco. It's closed to the public for matches now, but you can sort of see what it looked like in one of Clint Eastwood's "Dirty Harry" movies.
Back then I shot in several Leg matches but never got close to getting any points. We spent time shooting both pistol and High Power matches in California and Oregon.
I got interested in International matches and participated in the U.S. Shooting Team tryouts in Phoenix in 1981 and 1982 and I shot in L.A. in 1984 at the Olympic Team tryouts.
In 1985 I got recalled to Active Duty, so my shooting in competition stopped for a number of years. When we moved to Texas in 2003 I started shooting Bullseye pistol again. I got my first pistol Leg points at Carthage, Texas in 2006 and placed for points in every match after that, winding up getting the last Leg points at the Dallas Regional in 2007. I went to Perry that year and was presented my badge on stage at the awards ceremony at the end of the pistol matches.
Now I'm working on the rifle badge.
I can only hope I can that well, congratulations!
Old 08-08-2010, 04:03 PM

Congrats!

Link to your article?
Old 08-09-2010, 03:58 AM

Here you go;

http://www.chesterfieldobserver.com/.../home/003.html
Old 08-12-2010, 11:29 AM

Hey, awesome.

I had read that somewhere before. The gap in time reminded me.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpass View Post
Hey, awesome.

I had read that somewhere before. The gap in time reminded me.
If you get a chance to visit CMP Headquarters at Camp Perry I believe a framed version of the article is currently hanging on the wall. Now if I can just get that darned pistol to do what I want it to!

Thanks, Andy
Old 09-13-2010, 10:26 AM

I went 34 years to leg out with pistol. 1970-2004. The 70s don't really count as I was lousy with 45 then. In 76 I hung up the pistols for family. About 1997 I got back into matches. The real effort was 2000-2004. High EIC was 278, next 273. Other HB NMCs occasionally made good scores. Like 285 in a 900 match, and 291 in a nonsanctioned match. Lucky I guess. 260 or so is more a normal score.

I used to be registered here, but I could not find the login info. So I started over just now.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:15 PM

Another way to think about is; that during the time we as Distinguished Rifleman/ Pistol Shot are persuing our goal, 90% of our fellow competitors do not make the cut. Many, many times I was in that 90%, and often the very last shooter not to make the cut by one point or one X. I take my hat off to the many nameless shooters who compete in the Leg Matches year after year, only to fall short time and again. BUT the first time you do make the cut in a Leg (EIC) Match it all seems worth it.

Now that I am seeking to become Pistol Ditinguished, I find myself in the 90% once again. And-So-It-Goes!

Thanks, Andy