Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Leg Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2011, 02:16 PM

Default Handloading for EIC Pistol

I was just wondering if anyone had any particular pet loads for 45 ACP hardball. There seem to be a ton of people out there loading .45 wadcutters for Bullseye, but I haven't found a good source for service pistol.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:54 AM

I used 4.5 grains of Bullseye with several different 230 grain FMJs. They all worked. I still had about 5 clicks of drop at 50 yards from the 25 point of impact. Some guys go hotter, but 4.5 worked for me.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:29 PM

Thanks--sounds simple enough! Are there any particular bullets you've had luck with? Sounds like Zero and Precision Delta are good, but they appear to be sold out.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:00 PM

I used Speer, Remington and Zero. I lucked into a 1,000 round box of Star's...won them at the Texas State match. They all shoot.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:09 AM

4.8 Titegroup or 5.1 N320 with Sierra 230 for 50 yd
Old 03-27-2011, 08:56 AM

Clays, 4. grains was my best load. their are several "clays", I use just plain Clays. 2" group at 50yards with a NM RRA 1911. several people I know use Bullseye, 5 grains seems popular. I tried it, but found the Clays to be a bit better and cleaner.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:54 AM

I enjoy reading folk's experiences working toward the Distinguished Badge. I got mine in 2004 and am very proud of it.
I looked up some of the data I developed back then.
That year I was really driven. I was shooting a lot and hoped that it would be "my year". My pistol has a GI National Match slide and barrel. The barrel part number stamped in the hood area is:
NM7790313.
The slide is hard to make out since it was polished when blued. It is also a GI NM slide and is stamped on the right side by Colt.
I machine rested the heck out of it to find the best 50 yd load.
I ended up with the Sierra 8815 230gr FMJ. No other FMJ bullet would shoot as well as the Sierra at 50yds. I also found to get the gun to shoot it's best groups the bullet had to be traveling at GI Ball velcoity...over 800fps. "soft ball" loads are fine for 25 yds but at 50 it just didn't work. My load was 4.8gr Titegroup. I'm sorry I can't find the chrono data for it but be assured it WAS over 800fps.
For 25yds I shot the Hornady bullet with 4.2gr Clays. It chrono'd at an average 747fps.
For me, and every one is different, the most important thing was practicing trigger control. It didn't matter ball gun, wad gun, air pistol or whatever it was all about trigger control for me anyway.
I would always finish up a practice session, which would include the .22, wad gun and ball gun, with 50 or so rounds RF with the ball gun. Most times I would shoot wadcutter loads for this. In my case handloads with the H&G 130 LSWC. Like I said, it was all about trigger control for me.
Hope this all helps!
I'm proof if you stay with it you can make it!

Good luck!
JLK