Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Leg Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2011, 10:09 PM

Default CMP Games -- Garand EIC Match

I have signed up for the Garand EIC Match at the CMP Games in May. This will be only my second CMP Garand Match...... but I wanted to go to the Games, and I figure I might as well try to earn some EIC points while I'm there. I'm an old guy, but a "newbie" to all this... so I have a few questions. (I should probably have a lot of questions, but I'm not that smart yet!) So anyway, questions:

--- I won't be able to make the GSM Clinic on Staurday. What am I missing? I am familiar with the rules, course of fire, shooting positions, etc. I am not acquainted with the pits and pit procedures, etc..... I assume/hope that there will be helpful people who will keep me straight on that stuff.

--- What ammo will likely be issued for this match? Will it likely be the Hornaday A-max Match stuff that is sold by the CMP? I would like to sight in with the appropriate ammo prior to showing up at the match.

--- How easily visible are the spotters from the 200-yard line? Will I get any useful information from the naked eye while sighting in, or is a spotting scope an absolute necessity? I have a scope, but have yet to acquire a good stand for match competition. I have a tripod, but suspect it would be not very useful for sighting in the prone position.

Any other advise for a new shooter at the Games is appreciated. Also signed up for Rimfire Sporter)

Thanks.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:40 AM

Good for you for taking the plunge into the CMP Games/Creedmore Cup Matches. This will be my 5th year. The pits at Butner are absolutely the best there is, with electric target frames, and a high impact berm. You will not have any problems in the pits. Just do your best and listen to the pit officer. You will have another person on the target with you. Divide the duties with one on the button with pasters, the other moves the spotter, and scoring disc. Have your pasters laid out and ready. (I stick mine on my hand) The pits is a great place to enjoy the game, and meet people, but remember that you have a job to do. Your shooter is counting on you to be on the ball.
When you are on the button, keep your mind on the string, and stay away from the button during rapid fire. The pit officer will remind you so that you do not pull the target down. It is the worst thing you can do, and you will do it eventually. In rapid fire strings, always count your shot holes, and score on your black board before putting in the spotters. If you have insufficient hits, or too many, call the pit officer immediately. Be sure to wear a hat, and have ear and eye protection. There will likely be some spotters hit dead center that fly in any direction.
The ammo will be Hornady 168 Amax Match ammo. If you have been practicing with HXP, your zero for 200 will be two minutes lower for the Hornady. It is the best ammo there is.
You do not need a spotting scope to fire, but you should have one for scoring. You have time to get a scope/stand, mat, and glove. A pair of binoculars will do, or borrow a scope from someone that is in the pits. Don't ask to borrow the shooters scope, because he wants to use it. You will eventually realize that you need a cart too. Many people make their own carts, and eventually buy a Schneller. They are the best, but not cheap.
When scoring on the line, the rest of the line is counting on you to do your job as range officer for your position. You need to watch your shooter for safety, indicate that he is ready, and confirm how many shots are fired. Do not watch your shooters rounds in rapid fire stages. Do not sit behind him. Stand off at an angle that allows you to watch him fire. There are no alibis in Garand matches, so be ready to help your guy out if he is having trouble.
Stay at Butner to the end, or at least to the big BBQ after the Creedmore Cup. If you shoot the Cup match, you will get a ticket to draw for prizes, and you can buy extras that support the M1 for Vets. You could win some much needed gear. You will be hooked on this event, and kick yourself for not coming out before now.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:44 AM

Where are you in SC ? I am in Spartanburg, and shoot HP at the Polk County Gun Club in Columbus, NC. Look us up with the club tracker here.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LASCSTEVE View Post
I have signed up for the Garand EIC Match at the CMP Games in May. This will be only my second CMP Garand Match...... but I wanted to go to the Games, and I figure I might as well try to earn some EIC points while I'm there. I'm an old guy, but a "newbie" to all this... so I have a few questions. (I should probably have a lot of questions, but I'm not that smart yet!) So anyway, questions:

--- I won't be able to make the GSM Clinic on Staurday. What am I missing? I am familiar with the rules, course of fire, shooting positions, etc. I am not acquainted with the pits and pit procedures, etc..... I assume/hope that there will be helpful people who will keep me straight on that stuff.

--- What ammo will likely be issued for this match? Will it likely be the Hornaday A-max Match stuff that is sold by the CMP? I would like to sight in with the appropriate ammo prior to showing up at the match.

--- How easily visible are the spotters from the 200-yard line? Will I get any useful information from the naked eye while sighting in, or is a spotting scope an absolute necessity? I have a scope, but have yet to acquire a good stand for match competition. I have a tripod, but suspect it would be not very useful for sighting in the prone position.

Any other advise for a new shooter at the Games is appreciated. Also signed up for Rimfire Sporter)

Thanks.
I just bought my first scope stand from First Strike, in Georgia. It's a great stand, and $100 less than a comparable stand like the Ray Vin from Creedmoor. Good luck at the matches!
http://www.first-strike-products.com/
Old 05-03-2011, 11:11 AM

LASCSTEVE, Greg's answer covers a lot of ground and is all good info. One thing to keep in mind is that CMP Games Matches are No Alibi Events so you need to be as ready as you can be to shoot the rapid fire strings without any issues. When you load for the M1 Garand for rapid fire prone it is 'with bolts closed on an empty chamber, LOAD!'. Good luck sir and welcome to the Games. There's a lot of really good people in our sport.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:59 PM

Just a few thoughts based on hundreds of matches...... Zero your M1 and check it over before the match. If you only have a 100yd range, adjust to impact at the top of the SR1 (6 inch bull) black. Be sure to test function with a full enbloc. Make sure you practice single loading and the rapid procedures--actually practice. There are always delays after the "load" command--don't be the one causing them and don't dismount your op rod inadvertently. Clean the bore and fire 2 or 3 foulers if possible. Check the screw on the elevation knob, the tension on the windage knob, the front sight allen screw, the gas cylinder lock screw and the one in the stock ferrel. you can even check the buttplate screws and fill the butt trap with cleaning rods and a combo tool for weight. Lube it if needed. Lay out everything you need while shooting and keep it all together. Mentally, go through the match and think of everything you will do and what you need to do it. Practice slinging up and getting it properly adjusted. Don't bring extra junk. Do bring a Bic lighter and soot your sights just before you shoot. The only time you will be rushed is during relay changes. Have your gear there and hope the guy on your target isn't the last one off the line. You don't need a cart at Butner since you park right behind the 200yd line. You can see your shot markers fairly well at 200yds but a scope or field glasses are good during sighters and slow prone to see exactly where the hits are falling. Take your time during the sighters and only adjust the sights if truly necessary. If you know you need to adjust, try to do it early. Sight adjustments once record firing starts are always risky. Get you hold firmly in your mind and try not to forget it during the rapid phase. Lay a few loose rounds and an extra full enbloc near you and mentally go through your procedures for the common malfunctions. Don't rush your rapids--each shot is a separate event... and make a real effort to shoot you own target. You will have a little less time in the M1 EIC rapids, but still time to scope your target at least once for hts in the white. Best time is after you (successfully) load you full enbloc. Offhand is offhand, but if the wind is blowing and your pit crew is slow, you need to watch the time. Your scorer can run the timer and advise you--if you trust him. If your pit crew is having problems and you are running late because of them, be sure to have your scorer alert the RO near you. You can be afforded extra time, but only if he knows of the problem before the cease fire. I'm sure I forget a few things--just make sure you don't. The Eastern Games are good--forced to choose; I would take them over Perry. Good Shooting.......

Last edited by ceresco; 05-03-2011 at 10:40 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
Just a few thoughts based on hundreds of matches...... Zero your M1 and check it over before the match. If you only have a 100yd range, adjust to impact at the top of the SR1 (6 inch bull) black. Be sure to test function with a full enbloc. Make sure you practice single loading and the rapid procedures--actually practice. There are always delays after the "load" command--don't be the one causing them and don't dismount your op rod inadvertently. Clean the bore and fire 2 or 3 foulers if possible. Check the screw on the elevation knob, the tension on the windage knob, the front sight allen screw, the gas cylinder lock screw and the one in the stock ferrel. you can even check the buttplate screws and fill the butt trap with cleaning rods and a combo tool for weight. Lube it if needed. Lay out everything you need while shooting and keep it all together. Mentally, go through the match and think of everything you will do and what you need to do it. Practice slinging up and getting it properly adjusted. Don't bring extra junk. Do bring a Bic lighter and soot your sights just before you shoot. The only time you will be rushed is during relay changes. Have your gear there and hope the guy on your target isn't the last one off the line. You don't need a cart at Butner since you park right behind the 200yd line. You can see your shot markers fairly well at 200yds but a scope or field glasses are good during sighters and slow prone to see exactly where the hits are falling. Take your time during the sighters and only adjust the sights if truly necessary. If you know you need to adjust, try to do it early. Sight adjustments once record firing starts are always risky. Get you hold firmly in your mind and try not to forget it during the rapid phase. Lay a few loose rounds and an extra full enbloc near you and mentally go through your procedures for the common malfunctions. Don't rush your rapids--each shot is a separate event... and make a real effort to shoot you own target. You will have a little less time in the M1 EIC rapids, but still time to scope your target at least once for hts in the white. Best time is after you (successfully) load you full enbloc. Offhand is offhand, but if the wind is blowing and your pit crew is slow, you need to watch the time. Your scorer can run the timer and advise you--if you trust him. If your pit crew is having problems and you are running late because of them, be sure to have your scorer alert the RO near you. You can be afforded extra time, but only if he knows of the problem before the cease fire. I'm sure I forget a few things--just make sure you don't. The Eastern Games are good--forced to choose; I would take them over Perry. Good Shooting.......
Good advise all.. . Bring more food and water than you think you will need to the pits...

Northland Sportsmen's Club, 2018 President
CMP Match Chairman
NRA Highpower Rifle Chairman
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Chief Range Officer

Last edited by GarandGrabber; 05-04-2011 at 09:18 AM.