Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Leg Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2010, 08:30 PM

CDRT, I checked it out tonight, and you are exactly right. The trigger "bars" are rubbing against the magazine sometimes. I can see where the trigger "bars" have high spots that become polished from use. The trigger itself actually rubs against the frame and created the creeping click I had been feeling sometimes. It seems to have quite a bit of side-to-side play. It is most pronounced when the trigger is pushed slightly to one side during trigger pull. If I am very careful (as in slowfire) and when I pull the trigger straight to the rear it works just fine.

MAN, thanks for the tip.

Thanks, Andy

Last edited by ANDYZ28; 03-10-2010 at 08:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-10-2010, 09:51 PM

Glad to help. Guess I'll have to come up with some questions about getting my Rifle Leg.

I'm heading to Amarillo tomorrow for the NRA .22 Pistol Sectional but I'll be checking the forum while I'm up there. I think the next Rifle Leg match will be the Regional at the Panola Gun Club in East Texas in late April, early May.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:35 PM

I see by looking at the 2010 Nationals Calendar the CMP portion begins on Monday July 12 with the CMP "Warmup-Match". Then 14, 15, 16, 17, are NRA matches. With the CMP (Pres 100, NTI, NIT) concluding on the 18th! What is the normal process for most competitiors, shoot all week and finish with the CMP events on the 18th, or arrive on Saturday and shoot the NTI (leg match) on Sunday? Remember my primary goal is to get the "Hard Leg" (10 points) at Camp Perry Ohio (CPO). Are the mid-week days of the NRA matches uses as preperation for the CMP matches?

Found out today that my 1911A1 has the wrong and bent recoil spring, it is/was for cast wadcutters. The pistol learning curve is rather steep, especially when you are economically challenged (poor).

Thanks, Andy
Old 03-24-2010, 10:02 PM

Most shooters will participate in both the NRA and CMP matches. You really need the NRA matches to prepare for the CMP matches at the end of the week. We had one guy show up just to shoot the Leg and P100 and he did very poorly. Even if you only shoot the NRA .45 match, it would help. And as you mentioned, it is worth shooting the SAFS match at the beginning. It's worth 4 points and you'll get some good instruction.

Most 1911A1s come with a 16 pound recoil spring as standard which works with most hardball loads. My 1911A1 is tight enough that I use a 14 pound spring and it functions with military hardball and my reloads which are approximately the same as the military load.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:37 PM

I have my 4 points ala US Army Combat Match.

So I should plan on the "Pistol Week"?

I have installed an 18 pound spring from Brownells upon thier advice.

How much "HB" ammo will I need for the week?

Is it like CMP Rifle, eating breakfast in the dark?

Sorry for being a pest, but I am a stranger in a strange land.

I have finally aquired a High Standard Victol Original E. Hartford to use in the .22 phase.

Thanks, Andy

Last edited by ANDYZ28; 03-24-2010 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Additional comments
Old 03-25-2010, 08:15 AM

I thought the Army had a separate Distinguished Badge for their combat course? So those points count towards the regular Distinguished Badge?

If your pistol cycles okay with an 18 pound spring, then it should be okay.

If you plan on shooting hardball for everything, I would bring 700 rounds of .45 and at least 300 rounds of .22. Between the practice days, preliminary matches and actual matches, that should do it. If you plan on shooting the team matches, you'll need 90 more rounds of .45 and 30 rounds of .22. I think the last time I was there, I just brought a full ammo can of .45 (1,000 rounds) just in case someone needed ammo, etc. and 500 rounds of .22.

The format for the pistol matches is slightly different than the pistol matches held at other clubs. You'll be moving from the 50 yard line to the 25 yard line, so you need to be able to pack up quickly after the slow fire stage. They don't staple new targets over the old, so you have to lug the pre-made targets with you. You'll need nine for each NRA pistol match; three SF and six TF/RF targets. For the CMP, you need two SF and two TF/SF for the P100 and one SF and two TF/RF for the Leg.

Shooting on the practice day helps, so you get use to moving, picking up targets, etc. The preliminary matches are good practice as well. After that, you'll shoot one match per day. They alternate who starts first, so you may shoot in the morning one day and the afternoon the next.

Glad to help, by the way. I still use my Victor that I bought in 1976, but the receiver had to be replaced a few years ago. The original developed a crack and HS in Houston fixed it for me.

Last edited by CDRT; 03-25-2010 at 08:20 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:00 PM

CDRT THANK YOU

I quess I will just have to go and experience it for myself to "get-up-to-speed".

I was also advised that if I continue to scerw around with the rifle )CMP GSM) matches and not devote myself to pistol, it will never happen. I can now see that this was some sage advice.

Thanks, Andy
Old 03-25-2010, 05:17 PM

You're welcome.

I'm in the opposite boat. I'm passing up some NRA 2700 Bullesye matches so I can shoot some rifle matches before the Regional in Carthage at the end of April; first rifle Leg match of the year. Of course, I'll still shoot the Texas State Pistol match in May in Austin but probably with very little practice. I have 6 points towards the NRA Distinguished Revolver medal but it's not high on my priority list.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:30 PM

I can see from some recent encounters with pistol shooters who have "been there", that this can be a very long road.

Without a proper coach;

i might be better off to shoot the entire 2,700 match with my .22 Victor. This will help me to get the cadence/pace of the match down, and save me some $. When my scores can justify switching to .45, and no misses at the 50 yard line. Then I will once again shoot .45.

I was told at a recent match that "I must keep the pistol (.45) on the target through recoil", I had never heard this. It is important to keep the pistol on target to reduce recovery times and maintain your FOCUS during the match.

Apparently my shooting the 2,700 with .22/CF/.45 has been a bit misguided. I might be better off the shoot the .22 and get some trigger time, than shooting .45 at all?

It also appears that many (pistol) shooters stay at other than CPO lodgings. As a rifle shooter I have always stayed in "The Huts". Since the "The Huts" accomodate 4 shooters, how does a new guy find 3 shooters to stay with?

So; I am poor, want to stay at CPO, and need someone to hold my hand during the pistol matches. I guess I need a sponsor/coach/advisor for the pistol phase at CPO.

Thanks, Andy
Old 04-19-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
I was told at a recent match that "I must keep the pistol (.45) on the target through recoil", I had never heard this. It is important to keep the pistol on target to reduce recovery times and maintain your FOCUS during the match.
I suppose they are trying to describe "follow-through" which is the same as trying to control the pistol (recoil, etc.) rather than having it control you. One of the big things is to be able to recover from the shot (recoil) so that the pistol is stable for the next shot. In my early days I would try and rush the next shot and invariably the pistol would be moving (not good) when the shot broke. I've slowed down some and have a much better, stable sight picture when the next shot breaks. Keeping my arm stiff, elbow locked, really helps.

I was told a long time ago to shoot the rapid fire string like you do the timed fire, only "faster". I've found I prefer to wait a second on the timed fire string and make sure that the first shot breaks clean and is in the ten-ring rather than rushing the shot and putting it somewhere else. I'm still shooting the timed fire around 12 to 13 seconds, so I only have to speed up slightly for the rapid fire string.

You can also shoot the timed fire at the same cadence as you shoot the rapid fire, except after the third shot, take a breath and settle down again for the last two shots.

There's always that desire to look down range to see how you're doing in timed and rapid fire. It's easy enough to see the holes at 25 yards with the .45 but you'll be wasting valuable time since you're not concentrating on the sights.

I was also told, if you can shoot the .22 really well, you can do the same with the .45. By that, they meant learn the basics; sight picture, trigger control, breathing, etc. and the rest is easy.

About Camp Perry lodging, email Dave Howland at davehowland@clearwire.net and check with him about what the Texas folks are going to do. You can tell him Daryl referred you. I know the juniors stay in the huts and they might be able to fit you in. We older folks stayed in the modules but I'm not sure who all is going this year and I won't see Dave until the State Match in May.