Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 05:29 PM

Default 1st M1A, What to offer? - Update its a MA9102

Update - received some info from SA:

"Your rifle, serial number 096866, was manufactured as part number MA9102 (Standard M1A .308 rifle with New Walnut stock) in May of 1996."

Jim

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello,

I'm looking to pick up my first M1A, its part of collection being sold off due to a death in the family. Serial number is 096xxx, appears to be a 1996 rifle.

I won't be able to look at the rifle in person for a couple weeks, and have just one photo of it.

Other than possibly missing a wood chip from the magwell, it seems to be in very good shape. What would be a fair price range to offer for the gun? Its from a family friend, so obviously I wouldn't want to lo-ball the price, nor over pay for the rifle.

Any tips as to what to look for when I get to see the rifle would be appreciated too.

Thanks for your help,

Jim

Last edited by 101VooDoo; 08-27-2013 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Info from Springfield
Old 08-21-2013, 06:03 PM

not near enough info to give a opinion
Old 08-21-2013, 07:13 PM

from the photo and that you said it was an M1A (Springfield Armory) I would say $1100, but you are only giving enough info for a wild guess
Old 08-21-2013, 07:19 PM

Lots of info needed. Who made the rifle? Look at the parts-USGI or aftermarket, Check the TE, Any match mods or parts, stock bedded? What accessories/mags come with it? Are the mags USGI? Ammo, Amount, What kind?
Old 08-21-2013, 08:04 PM

Unfortunately, the serial number and picture is all I have to go off. No one in the family has any idea about the rifle; apparently the only member who liked guns was the one that passed away and now his sisters are trying to move the collection.

From looking at the rest of his collection I doubt the gun was a national match.

Since there's no selector cut out on the stock, I doubt it's the USGI Collector model from 1996.

That leaves a standard or a loaded, hopefully with a number of USGI parts as its a 1996 model. I'll check out the barrel and sights when I look at the rifle to see which model it is, and check for USGI parts.

No idea on number of mags or accessories. Again, based on the rest of his collection, I'm thinking it'll probably be just a couple of magazines.

So, if anyone's willing to hazard a guess what they think a fair-to-both-parties price range for a Very-Good or better mid 1990s standard or loaded Springfield M1A would be worth, I'd appreciate it.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:32 PM

I just won a 090xxx serial numbered M1A off gunbroker about 3 weeks ago. It was unfired standard with all USGI part except the receiver. I gave $1300.00 for it. Hope this helps.
Before anybody says anything it came with a Winchester barrel, bolt and early Winchester P in a circle marked gas cylinder. Had a mint TRW op-rod and trigger group that have been traded into another rifle for the mint Winchester op-rod and trigger group it had.

Oh, welcome to the M14 forum, sorry the Moderator over there is such a D!ck. Got you right away for asking for a price.

Last edited by tnw50cal; 08-21-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:18 PM

I remember seeing this thread briefly on the M14 forum yesterday.... I would offer $11-1200. If it needs a new barrel, they are easy to find and there are quite a few good smiths who do a proper job of installing them. Good luck and let us know how it all works out.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:58 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I had told the wife earlier in the week I was figuring $1100-1200 depending on condition, so this helps a lot. It seems there's always a distressed family selling guns like this, and I wouldn't want to take advantage.

Tnw50Cal, thanks for the welcome, I was surprised by the sharp, swift kick to the nuts I received for my first post. Didn't realize it was verbotten.

Seems like an odd subject to ban, kinda goes to the heart of the hobby.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101VooDoo View Post
Thanks for the input guys. I had told the wife earlier in the week I was figuring $1100-1200 depending on condition, so this helps a lot. It seems there's always a distressed family selling guns like this, and I wouldn't want to take advantage.

Tnw50Cal, thanks for the welcome, I was surprised by the sharp, swift kick to the nuts I received for my first post. Didn't realize it was verbotten.

Seems like an odd subject to ban, kinda goes to the heart of the hobby.
Well, there are good reasons for that rule over there. The rifle you are looking at could be valued at $1200-1800 depending on the parts, condition, etc. That is a $600 price swing !!! Things that we can't determine from the meager information you provided.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Charlie View Post
Well, there are good reasons for that rule over there. The rifle you are looking at could be valued at $1200-1800 depending on the parts, condition, etc. That is a $600 price swing !!! Things that we can't determine from the meager information you provided.
I dunno Charlie, a staple on most sites that deal with Milsurps rifles are questions and responses that deal with the relative value of a particular firearm. A response that the current average for a particular rifle, in a particular condition might be worth say $700-900 is common.

To say you can't post a question like that, nor respond to one because you haven't detail stripped the rifle to determine its true, lead-pipe-cinch value is kind of silly. The whole idea behind sites like this is the free and open exchange of ideas and expertise on a hobby we all enjoy. Why stifle that over someone's particular pet peeve?

I come across postings all the time that I disagree with, but if I don't have something worthwhile to add, I just won't post. Or, I might ask for more information if I think that might help.

Its not like we're calculating the trajectory of the space shuttle's re-entry path, or someone's going to be hauled into court because they gave a rough estimate on the value of a rifle that turned out to be wrong.

Jim