Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2014, 06:49 PM

http://detroit.craigslist.org/ try craigslist
Old 11-17-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dprice3844444 View Post
Why are you linking to detroit's Craigslist when a fellow from Texas said he needed a lathe. I obviously I do not need a lathe. Well not until I finish the shop at the new house.
Distinguished Rifleman #2297
CMP GSM Master Instructor
NRA Certified RSO
CMP HP Rifle RO
Old 11-17-2014, 07:02 PM

Not to worry. I've been perusing the local Craigslist religiously.
Something always gets in the way. Recently it was a McCoy built, lugged, 308 Garand.
I'm out of kitchen passes for quite awhile.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:03 PM

Reamer shipped today from reamer rentals. One of these days I will just buy a reamer but then I have to go through the headache of having it re sharpened and certified for form.

Also ordered the 8x hi-lux Unertl from optics planet last night. $457 delivered. Compared to the. $625 + shipping creedmoor wants I can spend an hour and replace fasteners and deburr and oil.

Pretty cold here so I will likely set up in my tool room at work to drill and tap the barrel rather than fire up my ice cold mill in my old shop.
NRA Certified RSO
CMP HP Rifle RO
Old 11-17-2014, 07:08 PM

Right now I'm building a 41 clone for a friend and he supplied me with a D&T'd receiver that someone opened the window where the trigger sear comes through. Enough that the USGI trigger doesn't have a 1st stage. I need access to a TIG machine and a mill to repair it.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:14 PM

Luckily mine has only been drilled and tapped and someone got after it a bit in prep for bluing or something. The rear Unertl block has bolt spacing of 0.860 inches. My receiver is drilled and tapped on a 0.875 spacing. I will have to slot one of the holes slightly.
NRA Certified RSO
CMP HP Rifle RO
Old 11-18-2014, 08:28 AM

Steve Earle will sell you undrilled bases--ask him to put the side recess cuts in unless you want the job yourself.... Good Shooting.....
Old 11-18-2014, 11:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesvb View Post
Right now I'm building a 41 clone for a friend and he supplied me with a D&T'd receiver that someone opened the window where the trigger sear comes through. Enough that the USGI trigger doesn't have a 1st stage. I need access to a TIG machine and a mill to repair it.
I'm not sure but I seem to recall a Mauser trigger requires that kind of receiver mod. Maybe someone else here knows better.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootsy View Post
Reamer shipped today from reamer rentals. One of these days I will just buy a reamer but then I have to go through the headache of having it re sharpened and certified for form.

Also ordered the 8x hi-lux Unertl from optics planet last night. $457 delivered. Compared to the. $625 + shipping creedmoor wants I can spend an hour and replace fasteners and deburr and oil.

Pretty cold here so I will likely set up in my tool room at work to drill and tap the barrel rather than fire up my ice cold mill in my old shop.
Personally I would just buy the reamer. Rental reamers are ok if you flat out can't afford to buy one. I like to know what kind of condition a reamer is in when I use it and potentially ruining a chamber because a rental reamer has a flaw or damage isn't on my list of things I want to experience. A lot of TLC goes into a build like this and a rental reamer just doesn't cut it (no pun intended). Besides, unless you do quite a few chambering jobs you shouldn't have to worry about reconditioning it for a while.

Rick
Old 11-20-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcop View Post
Personally I would just buy the reamer. Rental reamers are ok if you flat out can't afford to buy one. I like to know what kind of condition a reamer is in when I use it and potentially ruining a chamber because a rental reamer has a flaw or damage isn't on my list of things I want to experience. A lot of TLC goes into a build like this and a rental reamer just doesn't cut it (no pun intended). Besides, unless you do quite a few chambering jobs you shouldn't have to worry about reconditioning it for a while.

Rick
After receiving a reamer that, under magnification, is disappointing, I agree. Up to now the 2 or 3 times I've rented reamers from them they have been like new. This pull through I received is the exception.
NRA Certified RSO
CMP HP Rifle RO