Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2015, 01:06 PM

You're seeing the same thing I have. No matter whether it's a 175 or 168 my rifles shoot best at 56-57g of IMR4350. Tested in an A4orgery, 41 sniper and a run of the mill 03A3.
Oh and my sporterized 03A3 wearing its original barrel and completely free floated prefers the same load.
Old 06-12-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesvb View Post
You're seeing the same thing I have. No matter whether it's a 175 or 168 my rifles shoot best at 56-57g of IMR4350. Tested in an A4orgery, 41 sniper and a run of the mill 03A3.
Oh and my sporterized 03A3 wearing its original barrel and completely free floated prefers the same load.
That 2 MOA 10 ring is in trouble... Stuff is "zippy" too
Distinguished Rifleman #2297
CMP GSM Master Instructor
NRA Certified RSO
CMP HP Rifle RO
Old 07-23-2015, 02:00 PM

Now for the post Camp Perry report. The '41 performed flawlessly. The idiots pulling the trigger fell a bit short.

The Vintage Sniper match was challenging. A 2 minute switchy wind. left, flop, right flop, left flop... back and forth across the 10 ring.

About a week before I left for Perry I was getting a solid 200 zero at my club range and found that the Hi-lux rear mount just wouldn't track and it was very mushy. I somehow found some luck and secured a Unertl rear mount but it required I modify the rear base to turn it into a POSA style base. After installing the Unertl it tracked like a dream.

2 days before leaving for Perry I stopped by my club after work, quickly hung up a MR52, threw down some sandbags and put a rough 300 zero on it (horizontal cross wire tangent to 6 o'clock position of the bull). It'll hold the 10 of the MR52 without you even trying...

One thing I have never liked about this rifle was the hard bolt lift and after some time on the gun the trigger was giving me a few issues. The night before leaving for Perry I decided to do some "part swapping". I am in the middle of a 1903A3 drill reactivation into a match rifle and the bolt was like new. So I stole the shroud and the main spring out of it and put it into the '41's bolt. Trigger and bolt lift issues gone instantly.

What I can tell you is that the 20 lb Wolff springs are too long and the OD is too large. When compressed they do not compress in a straight manner because the ends are not closed and then flat ground. They are only closed. This causes the spring to "snake" up the cocking piece and allows the spring to drag inside of the bolt body. The one in this rifle had a very shiny spot from dragging. The bolt shroud had a lot of play and when you would take up the first stage you could see it move vertically.

Going to the standard 16 lb USGI main spring brought the trigger weight down to a very repeatable 3.1 lbs and the shroud had the trigger breaking repeatably, like glass.

Once at Perry the rifle made it through inspection, without issue, 4 times. I had 4 people firing it in Vintage Sniper.

Once on the line and it was GO time the rifle ran flawlessly for 80 rounds. 300 is so easy with the 8X that we should be shooting F class targets. You can see the scoring rings and the numbers easily. We were just holding off side to side as the wind shifted and flopped a few times. You can see nearly the same at 600 and we played the wind game the same way.

This is our 300 target after 4 shooters.

2 of the people shooting the rifle had never laid hands on it before and all 3 had never fired it. Overall they did fairly well. The only error being that no one adjusted the objective when moving to 600 since I was pulling pits for the 2nd team and had to stay during the change to 600. The sight picture was still clear but head position became fairly important as my partner proved and you can see on his scorecard. I shot the 600 last as I needed a bit of a break after coming out of the pits. Point 140's carrier is a bit "stiff" and is a real workout.

That 7 on my 600 score string is what happens when you do not squeeze the trigger but rather break or snap it. A pocket 7 @ 4:30.

So that is the culmination of this project. With a bit of time on the rifle and good wind calls there is no reason anyone cannot clean the course with it.

We ended up 11th team overall (385-9X) and I tied for 15th individual (195-5X)

I will leave you with a typical Viale morning sight...

Distinguished Rifleman #2297
CMP GSM Master Instructor
NRA Certified RSO
CMP HP Rifle RO

Last edited by Rootsy; 07-23-2015 at 02:32 PM.