Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2015, 11:00 PM

Default kerr sling

I have a kerr sling that is messing the metal ring that slides along the canvas and that the lower sling hooks into. Did some of these slings not have the metal ring if so how were they set up on the rifle.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:05 AM

There were 3 different length Kerr slings. One for the Thompson, 1917 and 1903. The 1917 was the longest sling.
Here is a link for attaching the sling
http://www.armscollectors.com/17sling/
Old 07-22-2015, 12:39 PM

I had an original Kerr doing missing the lower metal loop. I was told it was for a 1903 Springfield. It is now owned by a forum member in Texas.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:50 PM

I also have a Kerr sling that is missing the lower metal loop.

After doing some research online and learning that they made at least 3 different sizes of the Kerr sling I found other people indicate that this sling was designed for the 1903 but I've never seen information posted on how it's supposed to be attached and fit correctly. Every example of how to install it that I've found shows the lower section being attached to the second ring on the lower part of the sling.

If you simply attach the hook directly to the sling loop on the buttstock of a 1903 it leaves the sling very loose no matter how you adjust it. I also tried connecting it to a Krag with the same results, you can't really adjust it to where it's not sloppy. I may try installing it on a 1917 and see if it can be adjusted to where it could be tight rather than flopping around.