Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2015, 10:11 PM

Default Swedish Mauser - Opinions

Question for you guys: Went to Tallon Range today in Tallahasse to shoot a new CMP IHC, took along a NPM, and a Swedish Mauser I'd never shot. I picked the Swede up in a pawn shop in Monticello last month for $270 just because. I only had a dozen or so 6.5 rounds (expensive ammo) so while zeroing the IHC at 25 Yds also shot the Swede and could cover the three shots with a quarter...25 yds, no big deal. Went to the 200 yd range and from a bench rest, put 5 more rounds in the 9 ring within a 4-5 inch group. I'm a very average shooter (and that may be generous), I've shot a lot of bolt action rifles over the years, and IMHO that's one of the finest rifles I've ever shot. I've got to research what the data on the disk means, the rifle was full of cosmoline when I got it, but just how good are those rifles?

http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/je...?sort=3&page=1
Old 07-23-2015, 10:39 PM

Best surplus bolt actions ever. The only limitations are the iron sights and the quality of your eyes. Interpreting the disk is pretty straightforward. The triangle with a 1, 2 or 3 in it refers to bore condition (one being the best, three the worst). One of the numbers is usually marked. If there is no mark it's considered a new barrel. A lot of them are stamped at the "2" but look pristine anyway.

The rest of the numbers refer to bore diameter when slugged out at the armory. They're graduated in hundredths of a millimeter -- 6.46, 6.47, 6.48, and so on -- from slightly undersize to slightly oversize of 6.50. Most are marked somewhere between 6.49 and 6.51.

Sounds like you did quite well for $270.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:46 PM

Both the 96 Mauser and the 6.5x55 have very good reputations. Back in the mid-90s when mil- surps were selling like cheap hot cakes I came to the conclusion that there were really only two that were interesting. Those being the 96 Mauser and the No. 4 Mk. I Enfield. They both have reputations for accuracy "out of the box." I just wish the Swedes had switched to a good receiver sight like the Bits did with the Enfield. They are good!

Last edited by S99VG; 07-23-2015 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:04 PM

Thanks guys. Looking at the disk now and looks like 1 is stamped for the bore. What does the 2-9 scale represent? I've actually got two Swedes, the other is a 1916 that I traded with my brother for an Argentine Mauser he really wanted. I've never shot it either...you can bet it's going to the range next trip. I'd actually thought about trading the 1916 for a K31. I'm going to rethink that swap.

I know nothing about match shooting but thought I might give it a try since I've recently retired. Is there a category to compete with the Swede?
Old 07-23-2015, 11:15 PM

PPU 6.5 is not expensive and is accurate. Handloads will amaze you though.

The 2-9 is the bore. The exterior row is marked 6.51 followed by 2 through 9 and the interior contains 6.4 followed by 7-9 and a 0. An arrow over a number substitutes for the 1. For instance, a disk with 6.51 and an arrow over the 6 would indicate a diameter of 6.56. When the diameter reached 6.59, it was replaced.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:39 PM

Thanks Stewbaby. Just looked it up on-line and $18 for the PPU vs. the $39 I paid for Remington at the LGS. I had a gift card to the LGS, but no more. Never considered reloading, but might be time.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:40 AM

The Argentine 98's were the best rifle on the Milsurp market ever. They came out of the Commerical Plant as the factory arsenal plant was busy with the huge Turkish contract. That's why they have the hinged triggerguard, the commerical plant wasn't set up to make military triggerguards. I have 5 M96's and they are nearly new, all of them, really something special.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanJ View Post
Thanks guys. Looking at the disk now and looks like 1 is stamped for the bore. What does the 2-9 scale represent? I've actually got two Swedes, the other is a 1916 that I traded with my brother for an Argentine Mauser he really wanted. I've never shot it either...you can bet it's going to the range next trip. I'd actually thought about trading the 1916 for a K31. I'm going to rethink that swap.

I know nothing about match shooting but thought I might give it a try since I've recently retired. Is there a category to compete with the Swede?
I own both and K31s are just as accurate as the 1896 swede. I like my k31 better
Old 07-24-2015, 08:09 AM

Actually, I prefer my G1911 rifle to my K31. The longer sights are great and it takes handloads without a burb.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:13 AM

I too was impressed with the accuracy (and quality) of the Swedish Mausers. I did find that sling tension had quite an effect on POI with these rifles, as it does on other rifles of similar configuration. Didn't care for the glass smooth buttplate either. Good Shooting. ...

Last edited by ceresco; 07-24-2015 at 08:16 AM.