Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2015, 11:00 PM

Your description is consistent with that of a Sedgley cadet rifle.

Hope this helps.

J.B.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:51 AM

With the above exception, O3A3 barrels should all have the ordinance mark, manufacturer and date stamped just aft of the front sight just like 03s.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:26 AM

Now comes the moral question.

Do I go back to the LGS (I have a pretty good relationship with them) and warn them that that M1903 falls into the serial number range that is classified as unsafe to shoot?
Old 07-28-2015, 10:03 AM

Why not? How would you feel if you didn't say something and they unknowingly sold it to someone who didn't know better and it blew up in their face?
Old 07-28-2015, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFJuvat View Post
Now comes the moral question.

Do I go back to the LGS (I have a pretty good relationship with them) and warn them that that M1903 falls into the serial number range that is classified as unsafe to shoot?
If you do, be very nice about it, don't make a scene, be very respectful, and don't wait for or expect them to do anything about it. Most used merchandise is sold "as is" and the buyer assumes the liability and responsibility for his safety.

J.B.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Beard View Post
If you do, be very nice about it, don't make a scene, be very respectful, and don't wait for or expect them to do anything about it. Most used merchandise is sold "as is" and the buyer assumes the liability and responsibility for his safety.

J.B.
+1!!
Old 07-29-2015, 08:34 AM

Default Update

Printed out some documentation:

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1903-m1903a3/
http://m1903.com/03rcvrfail/

Went to the gun store and reconfirmed the serial number fell within the range, and asked to speak to the floor manager and explained the concerns with the rifle. I did it with the "I would hate for someone to get badly hurt and they go after you." approach.

He thanked me for the information and took my documentation and the rifle into the back. I expect that the store management and their gunsmith will go over it and make a decision. For what they are selling it for ($1200), I hope they don't have too much cash into it.

So it is off the floor for now. I would expect it to go back out at some point; possibly with a disclaimer or warning.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFJuvat View Post
Printed out some documentation:

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1903-m1903a3/
http://m1903.com/03rcvrfail/

Went to the gun store and reconfirmed the serial number fell within the range, and asked to speak to the floor manager and explained the concerns with the rifle. I did it with the "I would hate for someone to get badly hurt and they go after you." approach.

He thanked me for the information and took my documentation and the rifle into the back. I expect that the store management and their gunsmith will go over it and make a decision. For what they are selling it for ($1200), I hope they don't have too much cash into it.

So it is off the floor for now. I would expect it to go back out at some point; possibly with a disclaimer or warning.
Good call!

Mike