Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Leg Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2010, 07:00 PM

Default Rifle Selection

I have made the decision and have my wife's blessing to pursue the Distinguished Rifleman Badge and wade into the service rifle matches begining next year. I would like to keep the price for my NM Service Rifle under $1500.00. I would appreciate from those of you in the know as to which rifle I can purchase that is ready out of the box or possibly by components if necessary.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:40 PM

As I mentioned in your other thread, I have an out-of-the-box Rock River NM A2 that I am very happy with. Price was under $1,000 and all I may do is get a better trigger down the road. Mine does not have the flash hider and I am happy with that configuration.

Whatever you buy, get a barrel with a 1 in 8" twist.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRT View Post
As I mentioned in your other thread, I have an out-of-the-box Rock River NM A2 that I am very happy with. Price was under $1,000 and all I may do is get a better trigger down the road. Mine does not have the flash hider and I am happy with that configuration.

Whatever you buy, get a barrel with a 1 in 8" twist.
What should the sight configuration be? I see they offer different options.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:38 AM

I have the std configuration, not the detachable handle one. I've heard the detachable one does not have as much elevation.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:35 AM

How about the rear sight, 1.4" or 1/2"and what size aperture? Thanks for your help!
Old 07-12-2010, 09:06 AM

I have the 1/4 minute clicks since I shoot some matches at Wichita Falls and they use the reduced 100 yard targets. It does take a little longer for sight corrections on a regulation length course, but it's not that bad and I'm actually liking the smaller sight changes.

I had to go with the larger .052 aperature rather than the std .040 since my eyes are getting a little old and I have floaters that get in the way with the smaller aperature. The front sight is slightly thicker to compensate for the larger aperature.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:30 AM

The following is posted on the US Highpower forum at this link http://www.usrifleteams.com/forums/index.php?

"Nearly New! NM 2-Stage National Match trigger. A2 Service Rifle configuration. 400-500 rounds through the rifle. Paid $1150 and will sacrifice for $925. Ready to roll for Perry. Wylde Chamber, 1/4 in adjustment for windage and elevation. 20" 1-8 twist BBL. Shipped to your FFL. Pics to follow as soon as I get the camera home. This is the best feeling RRA NM trigger i've ever felt. $20 shipping .................Price drop to $875. Any less than that I will keep it for a practice rifle "

Just register and you can get to the Buy/Sell/Swap subforum and see the original add. This is a pretty good deal for a Rock River with just a few rounds throught the tube. I haev no connection with this poster but thougth I would pass on the info. Good luck

Art
Old 07-12-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
I have the 1/4 minute clicks since I shoot some matches at Wichita Falls and they use the reduced 100 yard targets. It does take a little longer for sight corrections on a regulation length course, but it's not that bad and I'm actually liking the smaller sight changes.

I had to go with the larger .052 aperature rather than the std .040 since my eyes are getting a little old and I have floaters that get in the way with the smaller aperature. The front sight is slightly thicker to compensate for the larger aperature.
Thanks for all your help! I am going to purchase one on vendor's row if they have them, otherwise I'll order one through a local dealer. Thanks again and hope to see you on the line someday!
Old 07-12-2010, 09:49 AM

I'm going to try and get to Perry next year for the SAFS M16 match and the Leg and President's 100. I'm going to tag along with the Texas team since I've only been there for the pistol matches.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
I'm going to try and get to Perry next year for the SAFS M16 match and the Leg and President's 100. I'm going to tag along with the Texas team since I've only been there for the pistol matches.
Great, I will be there for two out of those three as well. Take care!