Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Leg Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snellbaker View Post
The following is posted on the US Highpower forum at this link http://www.usrifleteams.com/forums/index.php?

"Nearly New! NM 2-Stage National Match trigger. A2 Service Rifle configuration. 400-500 rounds through the rifle. Paid $1150 and will sacrifice for $925. Ready to roll for Perry. Wylde Chamber, 1/4 in adjustment for windage and elevation. 20" 1-8 twist BBL. Shipped to your FFL. Pics to follow as soon as I get the camera home. This is the best feeling RRA NM trigger i've ever felt. $20 shipping .................Price drop to $875. Any less than that I will keep it for a practice rifle "

Just register and you can get to the Buy/Sell/Swap subforum and see the original add. This is a pretty good deal for a Rock River with just a few rounds throught the tube. I haev no connection with this poster but thougth I would pass on the info. Good luck

Art
Thank you! Sounds like a great deal. I'll check it out.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:44 AM

1. Get any milspec lower.
2. Get A2 stock kit.
3. Get Geissele 2-stage trigger.
4. Get White Oak Armament 'CMP' upper with pinned rear sight

That will definitely fall under $1500.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
http://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com
Old 07-12-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocabj View Post
2. Get A2 stock kit.

+1, Yes, do this and you will never need to upgrade anything for your rifle.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
2. Get A2 stock kit.

How much better is this set-up as opposed to the RRA NM A2? Can I expect better accuracy or durability? I kind of like the one manufacturer because of warranty and service.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:27 PM

I started shooting Across the Course in 2006 with a White Oak Armament upper. Went Distinguished with it in 2009. No accuracy or reliability issues whatsoever. There's no defined warranty with a WOA, but if you have a problem with it, WOA will definitely help you solve it. WOA is run by John Holliger. The guy is a shooter. You'll probably see him at Perry.

As far as the Geissele, it's arguably the best 2-stage trigger available.

I have never owned RRA, but from what I've heard, service can take forever with RRA. Whereas with WOA, you can pretty much talk to a live person on the phone and get help real time.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:41 PM

I think Bushmaster has to be highlighted in this thread. Bushmaster is a big supporter of CMP events and the Junior program. That's reason enough to return the favor. Their DCM rifle quality is tops...second to none, and they feature Wilson barrels. The two times I've needed to call them with a question, I've gotten through to a knowledgeable person without delay, and when I ordered a different size sight aperture it was shipped very quickly. Some criticize the Bushmaster trigger, but input from my son who shoots a Bushmaster DCM rifle he obtained through their Junior Shooter Program is he prefers the Bushmaster trigger.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike67 View Post
How much better is this set-up as opposed to the RRA NM A2? Can I expect better accuracy or durability? I kind of like the one manufacturer because of warranty and service.
A RRA A2 will get you to Master level. Beyond that, you'll start to notice the difference.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:44 PM

There's no real reason you can't shoot well with the RRA NM production rifle. Though, there are a few extra benefits with the WOA (comes with three rear apertures) and an adjustable front sight base (not sure if RRA has that), plus the pinned rear sight option.

Some will make the argument that the RRA NM is great for starting out and that you should only look into other 'custom' uppers when you improve. My argument is why not just get a more advanced upper when the cost difference is so negligible?

I do recommend getting more than one upper, though. When I first started out, I got a new WOA upper but I also picked up a used CLE upper which I used for practice. I was throwing 100+ rounds downrange every weekend for an entire year outside of matches. So I wanted a different barrel to wear out in practice than I used in matches. If you don't want to get a second upper, definitely order a spare barrel with a headspaced bolt to keep in reserve so you can replace the barrel when it's worn (and you won't have to wait for the barrel maker to cut you a barrel).

If you can get your hands on the RRA NM easily and go that route, I say you should get the Geissele and either keep it on hand or replace the trigger outright. I'm positive you will wear out / break the trigger. If come across several people who've broken their RRA 2-stage triggers.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
There's no real reason you can't shoot well with the RRA NM production rifle. Though, there are a few extra benefits with the WOA (comes with three rear apertures) and an adjustable front sight base (not sure if RRA has that), plus the pinned rear sight option.

Some will make the argument that the RRA NM is great for starting out and that you should only look into other 'custom' uppers when you improve. My argument is why not just get a more advanced upper when the cost difference is so negligible?

I do recommend getting more than one upper, though. When I first started out, I got a new WOA upper but I also picked up a used CLE upper which I used for practice. I was throwing 100+ rounds downrange every weekend for an entire year outside of matches. So I wanted a different barrel to wear out in practice than I used in matches. If you don't want to get a second upper, definitely order a spare barrel with a headspaced bolt to keep in reserve so you can replace the barrel when it's worn (and you won't have to wait for the barrel maker to cut you a barrel).

If you can get your hands on the RRA NM easily and go that route, I say you should get the Geissele and either keep it on hand or replace the trigger outright. I'm positive you will wear out / break the trigger. If come across several people who've broken their RRA 2-stage triggers.
I am going to get the RRA NM A2 lower w/ th 2 stage trigger and mate it with the WOP upper. Is the kreiger option for an extra $80.00 worth it?

Last edited by Mike67; 07-13-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike67 View Post
I am going to get the RRA NM A2 lower w/ th 2 stage trigger and mate it with the WOP upper. Is the kreiger option for an extra $80.00 worth it?
Only $80 more? I'd do it. I've only used the WOA Wilson barrels and have had great luck with them, but the Krieger will most likely get you an extra 1K rounds over the Wilson.