View Poll Results: which m1a mfger
SA INC 13 22.41%
FA 11 18.97%
LRB 23 39.66%
Other 11 18.97%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-26-2017, 08:47 AM

Default FA or LRB M1A

I'm not a clone fanatic nor do I have a particular love for the M14 (I grew up on 22s and AR15s). For the same reasons I like my M1s, it seems like a fine idea to have an M1A.

Go big or go home right? The quality of the FAs and LRBs is appealing even if its just a standard configurations. But 2700 for a 2.5 MOA gun is a lot to stomach given that a match grade AR10 can be had for 1700. Thoughts?

Bill
Old 04-26-2017, 11:33 AM

There are three of us in our family and we have a total of six m14 clones. We have 3 SA match rifles and 3 Rock-Ola for fun.All work great and we love them.We have kits to build 2 more someday.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:04 PM

Always buy the best... you will be money ahead in the long run.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:05 PM
Banned

I have three SEI and three GunWorks receivers all are first rate and well above what you will get from LRB or Bula. The GunWorks receivers being the best I've ever seen in terms of quality finish, fit and function. They are in a league of their own. Now with that being said there is another just coming to market which will rival the GunWorks receivers.

Rick Bowen(BAR) receivers will be built to the same mil spec quality as the GWs receivers. They are using the same equipment and Rick(M14) has put heart and sole into this project.

I am committed to one, with two more possible.

At intro of $695.00 they just can't be beat.

REN
Old 04-26-2017, 12:42 PM

I have an SAI receiver and an LRB M25 receiver. Both are built up by Jon Wolfe. The SAI was a Cali. Fish and Game return that Jon fine tuned and the LRB is just a super example.
If you have time to wait (a year or so) then wait to see the reviews of the BAR receivers. If not, then I would be tempted to grab another LRB. What you don't have on the list is the Rockola/Bula. I have heard good things about those as well.
Keep in mind that the receiver is not the most expensive component, it is the parts (smalls and barrel). If you are OK with modern reproduced parts I would get a hold of Bula and start buying. If you want USGI, Windy City is the place where I got mine.
The M14 can be refined to produce very tight groups, but if you want to punch one hole in the paper shot after shot look, elsewhere. It is pure joy to use this rifle and my love of the platform is the reason I keep acquiring more. If you are on the fence on if you are going to love it, try one out first; otherwise in a few years you might be selling it cheaply to me...

Semper Fi,
SMAWman
Old 04-26-2017, 12:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by old sagarand View Post
Find a gently used older USGI parts SAI and you'll save a fortune!
Thats not a bad alternative, you will spend far less and end up with a pretty nice M1A, but if you are looking for something far beyond SAI., their newer rifles leave a lot to be desired, if you want a forged receiver instead of cast, if you want heirloom quality then you are going to have to spend to get it.

While I'll admit my rifles cost more than they'll ever bring, I needed them to be the standard most are judged by and I think I did that in spades. If you are simply looking for a shooter to go plinking with the standard SAI. will be all you need, but if you are looking for something to hand down from generation to generation, father to son there are much better choices.

Ren
Old 04-26-2017, 12:49 PM
Banned

I had a Springfield Armory, Inc. M1A that was just OK... After that experience all of my M14s have been custom built by Smith Enterprise on Norinco & Poly Tech receivers that I supplied. All used a mix of USGI, SEI, Sadlak and Poly Tech parts. These rifles hold their value better than most.

If I was shopping for a new rifle that's already built, I would look at Smith Enterprise first - followed by LRB.

Last edited by H2O MAN; 04-26-2017 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:52 PM

I agree with the results of your poll so far.
LRB number one. Buy once , cry once.
Their 15 years in the business of producing hammer forged receivers that are made as close to USGI spec as the law will allow speaks for itself. Nice folks to deal with.
Others have tried, but have fallen by the wayside.
Another up and comer is Bula Defense System. Their gear is made right to the center of USGI spec and are less expensive than LRB. Bula is also producing most of the parts needed to build a rifle less the front muzzle device and rear sights which their products do not use. Bula is a USGI contractor for some M-14 parts as a bonus.

Semper Fi
Art
Old 04-26-2017, 09:22 PM

Bula Forge... I built a rear lugged match rifle with all of their parts they sell. As Art stated, will need front and rear sights, muzzle break, clip guide, stock set, shims. I went with a Fulton unitized gas cylinder.

With some tools I needed for the job, Marinetex for the bedding, Lilly Ram 225 Mold Release, modelling clay, parts totalled about $2200 to build. I about fell over when I heard a fellow club member tell me that he paid $3600 for his match Smith M1A. The gas cylinder was not unitized, the hand guard was not cut away, the stock was not bedded and no draw pressure, and the trigger was heavy.

M1As are a lot of money. I thinned my herd a little to pay for my match rifle because I like shooting matches, just about every weekend. You may want to think about how you are going to use your rifle and buy one that will suit your use. And my rifle shoots much better than 2.5 MOA
Old 04-30-2017, 09:55 PM

LRB hands down!