Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Leg Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2010, 02:34 PM

Default Service Pistol Only Matches

I am a rifle shooter who is working on Dist Pistol. I attended BE matches for several years, but I found it wasnt that beneficial (to me) for Leg matches.
Thats because I shot the year with a "wad gun", target specific 1911's and target 22's. To be competitive, I went the BE route of lighter triggers, optics, light loads, etc.
Then 3 times a year I go over to ball guns (heavy trigger, Iron Sites, full power loads) and my scores suffered.

Now I am trying something different. I have restricted my shooting to ball gun only. I see many more "Service Pistol
Only" matches, which allows me to shoot BE but be competitive as everyone is using a ball gun. And with new rules for holding leg matches, a leg match can be attached and shot at the end of this match, without it being a state or regional NRA BE match.

This year in Colorado, we held a pistol leg match after our 3 day rifle match. We ended up having 36 shooters, and gave out 4 legs. Contrast that to our BE connected leg matches, which struggle to produce 1 leg. BTW, that leg match was the largest, by far, ever held in our state and larger than any state or regional NRA BE match in the last 15 years. And many of our pistol shooters attended.

We now are planning to have a clinic for Service Pistol, and hold "SP only" matches with leg matches after. We may extend the matches to include any carry type pistol, then have loaner pistols for people w/o proper leg gun so they can shoot the leg. Its a great way to grow SP shooters.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:38 PM

Default SP only matches

one other advantage to holding SP only matches has to do with the 9mm Beretta. I am finding many rifle shooters are opting to buy Berettas as their leg gun. This gun has limited utility in BE matches, as its only useful for the CF stage (not RF or 45 match). Additionally, its a different grip than the 45.

Here is the rundown: a Beretta is a very good gun for leg matches, but its limited in value for BE shooting. By the same token, BE shooting requires a minimum of 2 guns, a 45 and a 22. I am finding Rifle shooters interested in shooting DPS are increasingly going for a Beretta. The SP only format is right up their alley. Its very similiar to shooting a Service Rifle in NRA matches, just the gun your going to shoot in leg matches. SP only matches allows another path to DPS.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:58 AM

I am taking a similar approach to improving my LEG scores. I have a Caspian wad gun with a 4 lb trigger. After a dismal performance at Perry this year with both the 2700 and LEG matches, I have taken my scope off the wad gun to shoot iron sights only. Also spending a lot more time shooting the long line to improve scores. Finally, purchasing an air pistol so I can shoot more iron sights. Good luck to you, and I would like to hear others methods to improve LEG scores.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:37 PM

There's a similar thread out there on this subject, but here goes:
I've always shot iron sights. When I got serious about legging out, I started shooting my Hardball gun for the Centerfire match at 2700s with the ammo I would use in Leg matches. And I spent a lot more time practicing with the Hardball gun rather than my .45 Wad gun. Nothing helps as well as rounds down range.

The Panola County Gun Club in East Texas started offering a Pistol EIC match at their annual Rifle Regional, along with their Rifle EIC match in 2006. I got my first Leg points there. They have always had enough non-distinguished shooters to be able to give out 3 Legs. Of course, last year, the Leg match got rained out, but you kind of expect when it's springtime in Texas.

The OKC gun club (in Arcadia) hosts a 900 Service Pistol match every year which includes a Pistol EIC match and an NRA Distinguished Revolver match. The Bayou Rifle Club down by Houston is planning the same event this year in the Fall.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:57 AM

Doing badly at Leg matchest is a very common problem if you shoot Bullseye with dots and never practice with a Hard Ball gun. If you are serious about getting legs and you can't get cheap mil combat legs you must practice because as stated usually only a single leg is given out at most local level( regionals/district ) matches. The new leg point rules have made it even more difficult to leg as hard legs are far and few between for those who can't afford to go to Perry year after year.

Bullseye is a dying sport, every year as oldtimers die off fewer and fewer people show up at matches. It just seems that younger people ( instant gratification generation ) don't want to put in the time, $$$ & effort it takes to get good at Bullseye.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:14 PM

you'd better check- I think there is a limit to the number of leg matches you can shoot a year,It may be 4 and has to include camp perry in the 4. you can't shoot a lower level leg in lieu of the camp perry match. if you shoot too many,they can take leg points away from you.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:16 PM

also while I already have my pistol distinguished, I am interested in shooting for the pres 100. I shot all my legs with the beretta as a military guy before I retired. I prefer the beretta, but am having a hard time finding anyone who builds a true bullseye quality beretta, only one I know of is mountain competition, and they are pricey! any other sources you guys know of?
Old 03-08-2011, 02:44 AM

Use iron sights all the way. A 22 unit like Marvel or Advantage Arms, or a good High Standard or 41 with irons. Then 1911 hardball for CF and 45. Worked for me.

Any iron sight shooting helps, even revolver.

But do lots and lots of hardball rapid. You win it in slow and lose it in rapid.

I had a callous and raw sore on my hand from HB hammer bite.

Jack
Old 03-08-2011, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorD View Post
also while I already have my pistol distinguished, I am interested in shooting for the pres 100. I shot all my legs with the beretta as a military guy before I retired. I prefer the beretta, but am having a hard time finding anyone who builds a true bullseye quality beretta, only one I know of is mountain competition, and they are pricey! any other sources you guys know of?
Dr Nick , Sams, and Service team armorers are the best to build a Beretta 290 gun. A few that can tune a 270 gun might be Toyota, or Salyer. I know Toyota builds great 1911's.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billditt View Post
one other advantage to holding SP only matches has to do with the 9mm Beretta. I am finding many rifle shooters are opting to buy Berettas as their leg gun. This gun has limited utility in BE matches, as its only useful for the CF stage (not RF or 45 match). Additionally, its a different grip than the 45.

Here is the rundown: a Beretta is a very good gun for leg matches, but its limited in value for BE shooting. By the same token, BE shooting requires a minimum of 2 guns, a 45 and a 22. I am finding Rifle shooters interested in shooting DPS are increasingly going for a Beretta. The SP only format is right up their alley. Its very similiar to shooting a Service Rifle in NRA matches, just the gun your going to shoot in leg matches. SP only matches allows another path to DPS.
I'm an SR shooter and I bought a Beretta for the express purpose of shooting EIC matches. I have a Browning HiPower so there was the added reason of staying with one caliber.