Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokie View Post
Are you wanting a select fire/Full auto M14 or its semi auto brother "M1A"? There is about $15,000/$20,000 difference in the two rifles. An M14 requires paper work, three month back log at the BATF and $200 tax stamp, But well worth the wait and money.
'M1A' is SAI's name for their model of a semi-automatic M14. Nobody but SAI calls their semi-automatic M14 a M1A. Other manufacturers of semi-automatic M14 rifles call them M14's.

Last edited by OKC_Jim; 08-28-2018 at 07:17 AM.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:47 PM

Smith is good. There are other forged receivers, and Smith had a pretty solid cast version, too.

So are the Chinese versions IF one has them heat treated. Haven't been imported for a long time, but they're heavily sought after and they ARE forged.

Just thoughts...

And yes, only SAI calls theirs the "M1A". The others are ALL M14's, sometimes appended by other verbiage.

A couple are "M-14" and so marked, and oddments of others are "M14 SA", but ONLY the Reese-flagged items are called "M1A", which is an artificial, non-military nomenclature piece, and WRONG if entered in a dealer's or other record book.

Last edited by jimthompson502002; 09-07-2018 at 07:38 PM. Reason: detail
Old 08-28-2018, 05:18 AM

I will hold-out for a forged receiver and all the GI parts I can get. May invest 2X the price for a better one, but it will be worth it to me. We only get so many trips around the sun and I have used up most of mine.
Old 08-28-2018, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 309Carbine View Post
I will hold-out for a forged receiver and all the GI parts I can get. May invest 2X the price for a better one, but it will be worth it to me. We only get so many trips around the sun and I have used up most of mine.

Rgr on trips around the sun.

I have over 2 doz Bula forged receivers,used in builds, in my collection and find them superior to all except LRB which are no longer available as a receiver only.
You might look at Classic Firearms for James River Armory M14 rifles which use Bula receivers and parts for their builds or Bula themselves have some of their own high quality products being sold by Classic.
I have found current production Bula Defense Systems, which is a current supplier to the military, parts to be as good or better than older USGI. There are a dozen or more LRB muzzle brakes in this photo. Best of the best.

RVN 67-68

Last edited by nf1e; 08-28-2018 at 07:15 AM.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
I have SAI, Armscorp and Bula. My SAI has all SA USGI parts except for the barrel and flash hider. Even the stock is GI fiberglass with the cutout filled and a crinkle finish. Fun, dependable rifle. If you look around for a used version you may find an early SAI with lots of GI parts as a cost effective compromise.

If not and forged is in your future, Bula is great. I have a DMR version with all Bula parts (except the FH) that is extremely accurate and am working on a build that is about 50-50 USGI and Bula. Keep your eye out for their next sale.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
Rgr on trips around the sun.

I have over 2 doz Bula forged receivers,used in builds, in my collection and find them superior to all except LRB which are no longer available as a receiver only.
You might look at Classic Firearms for James River Armory M14 rifles which use Bula receivers and parts for their builds or Bula themselves have some of their own high quality products being sold by Classic.
I have found current production Bula Defense Systems, which is a current supplier to the military, parts to be as good or better than older USGI. There are a dozen or more LRB muzzle brakes in this photo. Best of the best.

Hey Marine....I only need one of those.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Hey Marine....I only need one of those.
Ahh. It only starts with one. Don't let anyone fool you, it's a life long quest.
RVN 67-68
Old 08-28-2018, 12:26 PM

I am a firm believer in the “ buy once, cry once” concept.
However, based on the above comments, and my own experience I see no need to look for “more” than an SAI, for most shooters.
Will a forged receiver shoot better? Last longer?
Search this forum and see how many report problems with their SAIs.
Jh

Last edited by ZvenoMan; 08-28-2018 at 08:54 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-28-2018, 04:01 PM

Nice rug Art, can't see it well with all those dang rifles on it though!
Good advice here 309carbine, keep us posted on your choice.
Old 08-30-2018, 05:13 AM

For a range blaster keep an eye out on the “gun deal” websites
Like grabagun. SAI standards where on there new for around $1175 ish with synthetic stock. You want the surplus look buy a USGi stock and put it on.
I’m a little upset with myself for not just buying a SAI he building it dupage did not have those $400 kits I would have just bought the SAI loaded.