Go Back   CMP Forums > Marketplace > Parts For Sale or Trade
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2019, 01:49 PM

Default WTB Springfield Armory .308 Service Grade Special

WTB Springfield Armory .308 Service Grade Special (RM1308SPECIAL). This is the one with CBI (Criterion) barrel built by CMP. I am a condition guy, ergo the Service Grade rather than Field Grade Special. (I have one of those) Rifle needs to be perfect with no corrosion, pitting, or dings in the metal or wood anywhere, no matter how small, shipped in the CMP case. I will pay your original CMP costs, plus a premium, plus reasonable shipping. PM me for details.
Clark Air Base, Philippines (1961-1964)
Old 01-13-2019, 02:48 PM

Coltgrabber,
I believe what you are looking for is called a "Special Grade." The "Service Grade Specials" were only made for a couple years in 2013/14 and they had their original barrels and original finish. The only thing different about them is that they were put into CMP stocks. The Special Grades had (have) Criterion barrels installed, are reParkerized and then put into CMP stocks. I think the Special Grades are still being made today.

The CMP used similar names for these which can be confusing but they are definitely different rifles. I hope this helps.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Dexter View Post
Coltgrabber,
I believe what you are looking for is called a "Special Grade." The "Service Grade Specials" were only made for a couple years in 2013/14 and they had their original barrels and original finish. The only thing different about them is that they were put into CMP stocks. The Special Grades had (have) Criterion barrels installed, are reParkerized and then put into CMP stocks. I think the Special Grades are still being made today.

The CMP used similar names for these which can be confusing but they are definitely different rifles. I hope this helps.
It is confusing but I got that information off the CMP description. They have two grades, two calibers. .30/06 Service Grade & Field Grade Special & .308 Service Grade & Field Grade Special. I have a .308 FG Special but am looking for a Service Grade Special. They also have them in WRA, IHC, and I'm told, HRA although I haven't seen one of those at the South Store, where they have these. The only difference between the Service Grade & Field Grade is a barely noticeable amount of pitting on the Field Grades. Although the CMP description states the Service Grade Specials MAY have pitting, it has been my experience that I haven't seen it on the Service Grade Specials. If I have to travel 16 hours round trip to the store, that means hotel overnight and I can buy one from a forum member easier.
Clark Air Base, Philippines (1961-1964)