Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2019, 06:24 PM

Default HXP ammo - problem lots?

Hi All,

I have seen mentioned on the CMP site that some Greek HXP ammo is not always in spec. I have a mixed year supply of it.

My gunsmith installed a new 30-06 Criterion barrel on a Remington 03-A3 . The bolt locks up on his head-space gauges correctly.
I took it out today to break in the barrel. Fire & clean between each round for 10 shots & so on
. Depending on the rounds selected some would not chamber or was more then a bit hard closing the bolt!
Most just dropped in & locked up as normal!

Can anyone provide lot#'s or poor spec years?

I also shot a Springfield 1903 from 1918, that ate all of it with no problem!
What ever the difference is it's not much!
I really don't want to run every round through the rifle at home to cull the over sized rounds.

Any help or insight is welcome,
broom
Old 01-27-2019, 07:19 PM

I’ve never had any problem firing any ammo, HXP or otherwise, through my Criterion barreled Garand. I would expect the chamber is a few thousandths short.

Do you have the tools to measure the ammo that won’t chamber to see if it is within spec?

If not, maybe you can find a reloader locally to measure them for you?

Jim
Old 01-27-2019, 07:25 PM

There have been long HXP rounds reported before.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:35 PM

It's a random issue mostly encountered with a bolt gun due to less force closing the bolt than a Garand or Browning MG have. Somewhere around the house I have a made up gauge using a 30-06 barrel stub and an adjustable cap that I use to cull it. It's pretty fast and you can borrow it and either give it back to me at the Eastern Games this year or mail it back when your done. PM me if you want.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:08 PM

Best solution is a body sizing die--simply trim the top off an old FL die until the case neck will just fit through. Set up properly, you can run ammo through it and quickly adjust oversize rounds. Your other anternatives are to sort your HXP or deepen the chamber. Generally better to fix the ammo, not the rifle. Good Shooting. ......
Old 01-27-2019, 08:22 PM

My Military chambered rifles are bigger at the base for sure. Have bunch of HXP and PS and none of it fits well in a tight Criterion cut chamber rifle.
Thats pretty common.

Smag~
Old 01-27-2019, 09:13 PM

Hi Guys,

Both of you mirror my thoughts on a fix for this issue!
I will ask my pal to return my Wilson case gauge! He borrowed it to check his 30-06 die setup since he just bought two 30-06 rifles.

Fartblossom1953 I'll PM you, I would like to see a picture of the adjustable cap you made up! I have the old stub & a small lathe! A actual rifle chamber might be a better real world gauge over my case gauge.

Thanks for the quick reply's!
broom
Old 01-27-2019, 09:17 PM

There seems to be a good bit of "institutional knowledge" to that effect broom. Have to check with Chuck but I believe he told me he set headspace on my new Criterion barreled A4 clone using HXP so I have never had that particular problem. Only 93 rounds to date so not much of a comparison. Only other ammo I have shot is FGMM and Creedmoor match. No issues with either of those.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:38 PM

Hi Fellow posters,

BIG thanks for all the great reply's! Your poster's covered all my thoughts & more!
I would like to keep the chamber tight. I'll be finished with the Greek stuff soon enough !

jsudduth yes, I do have the hand & machine tools to check thing's out. Been a busy week foe me, including today SUNDAY!
I'll get my 30-06 Wilson case gauge back from my pal. Get my 1 & 2 inch mike's & depth mike out in the next few days..

Thanks AGAIN for the well thought out & quick reply's.

broom
Old 01-28-2019, 03:36 AM

I had a terrible can of 1962 HXP, but I don't remember the lot number. Some bullets were loose in the case, others were set in case crooked, powder charges were all other the place. So bad I couldn't even use it for sighters