Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Leg Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2010, 03:37 PM

Default This subforum is why I joined the Forum

I was a competition shooter for a number of years in 3-Position Smallbore and International Air Rifle, and briefly shot smallbore pistol competition for my college ROTC team. I qualified for a position on a prestigious national shooting team, but decided to enlist in the Marines to apply my skills. Now, 13 years after that decision, I want to get back on track to achieving my goal of earning Distinguished Marksman and Pistol badges. They won't say U.S. Marine Corps at the top for me now, but just earning one or both is my shooting goal, once again. I plan to start with trying for the pistol badge, and assume Service Pistol is the best way to go? I don't have a competition pistol, yet, but plan to liquidate some of my collection for a good service pistol; most likely a National Match M9. I have a Springfield Armory M1A Super Match that I will use for Service Rifle, eventually, when I move somewhere with more opportunity for rifle practice. Any help, guidance, suggestions, recommendations, etc. are appreciated. I'm located in Northern Alabama, but about to move to Northern Virginia. Thanks.
-R
Old 02-08-2010, 07:49 PM

Welcome aboard Marine!

I was also planning to go the M-9 route, BUT upon further investigation I found the startup costs to be "cost-prohibitive" to me. The timeline to obtain one of these pistols is also a factor. I decided to go the 1911 route and in retrospect I am very glad I did. I believe you may come to a similar conclusion.

Concerning the rifle side, I obtained 24 leg points with the M-14, and "legged out" with he AR. I would not go back to .30 caliber at all. When you go to the Leg Match at Perry and see that 98% of the competitors, and a similar % of point winners are shooting AR based rifles, including all of the service teams and juniors. The California junior team beat all of the service teams in the Infantry Trophy match at Perry in 2009 with the AR. It says a lot! When you come to Northern Virginia look me up, we have a VERY active shooting fraternity here.

Semper Fi
Old 02-08-2010, 09:07 PM

Thank you for the warm welcome. Despite my preference for the 1911, I have watched the match scores for years and been seeing the M9 NM setting records never achieved by the 1911. However, since I want to practice a lot, I plan to shoot NRA pistol matches, as well, and the .45 is required, so I will be going the 1911 route. I spoke to Clark Custom today about doing a Hardball conversion on an old Colt I was given, and plan to go that route (below is a pair of Colts I was given). I do intend to change to a flat mainspring housing since that is more comfortable for me and looks to be acceptable by both CMP and NRA standards. I also have a 1961-vintage High Standard Supermatic Trophy 103 that I was given and plan to use for the smallbore part of the NRA matches. I will still need a shooting box, and will appreciate any recommendations, and a spotting scope. Any additional items recommended?

As for the service rifle, I would prefer to compete with the AR since that is what I shoot most, but not having a National Match AR and having a barely used M1A Super Match sitting in the safe has dictated that one for now. Eventually, I will swap to an AR, though. I had been planning to get a Rock River NMA2 a couple years ago, but when I got to Alabama and couldn't find service rifle matches, I went towards other shooting sports and got a JP Enterprise VTAC carbine, instead. Whose National Match AR is recommended by most now? I have a good relationship with Fulton Armory and have been impressed with their .308 precision ARs, but otherwise do not really know who else is making CMP-type ARs.

I'm currently here in NOVA on TDY until early April, but expect to move up sometime in the Summer/early Fall, prior to going overseas for a bit.

S/F

Last edited by rm97; 02-08-2010 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Forgot to add the photos.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:09 PM

"Whose National Match AR is recommended by most now?"
Wow, now you've opened a can of worms. I think your initial interest in a Rock River A2 is well founded as they have one of the best production triggers on the market. If I were starting to assemble my High Power service rifle again, I'd probably go with a complete Rock River A2 or a Rock River lower with a White Oak Precision upper. Both companies are on Vendors Row each year at Camp Perry (if you haven't been to Perry for the National Matches, it's well worth your while to go). Last year Rock River had excellent prices on their rifles there. Either way you'd have enough rifle to go distinguished IMHO. A feller I shoot with occasionally went distinguished with a DCM Bushmaster, which is a notch below the ones I mentioned. Have you given any thought to going the Space Gun route? Can you still see the front sight on a service AR? At any rate, best of luck with your endeavor.

Last edited by Slapshot; 02-08-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:17 PM

Default rm97

I have two Colts that I had Clark work on. Both are excellent shooters and you'll be happy with the work they do. Most of the guys around here are using the 1911 as their Leg/Hardball gun rather than the M9. I have seen one or two at matches, but most use some form of the 1911. Granted the M9 seems to be winning matches with high scores, but it's all in what you pick and then stick to, rather than constantly changing equipment, trying to get better. I used a Springfield Armory 1911A1 that I had a local gunsmith tune up for me to "leg out". Like you, I changed the mainspring housing to the flat version (which is on all my 1911s).

We had one shooter who made Master outdoors with his Hardball gun and a Ruger MK III (iron sights). He just changed out the recoil spring in the Hardball gun so he could shoot softball loads rather than the FMJs for Leg matches.

I started shooting High Power again about two years ago. I was using my .308 McCoy M1 Garand, but the nearest range that shoots across the course matches was restricted to .223 only. Because of that I picked up a Rock River NMA2 and have been very happy with it. I shot a 451 with it at the last Leg match. Unfortunately, the cutoff for points was 458, but I'm getting there.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with and welcome to the forum.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:25 PM

Sounds like the RRA is the way to go, then. What are the advantages to the space gun? My vision has deteriorated quite a bit since I retired from competition, but I can still see the front sights on my issued rifles and shot a 61 of 65 the last time I qualified at Quantico with the M16A2.

As much as I want the Clark custom conversion on my Colt, I started thinking about where I will be in a year when they project to deliver it, and I won't have a lot of use for it in Afghanistan at that time. So, if I want to start shooting matches soon, I will need something quick. I got a call back from Dr. Nick Abrishamian at Mountain Competition Pistols and we talked for the last hour and a half. Ends up, he has a hardball pistol sitting in a box ready for barrel fitting and could get it out to me most ricky tick. Since I am traveling with work until mid-April, he is going to test a new batch of barrels coming in, then fit one and take care of load development for me prior to shipping it.

Last edited by rm97; 05-17-2010 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Mountain Competition Pistols never delivered. I requested a refund today.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:55 AM

You can email me and I can probably solve your service rifle requirements at "a very reasonable cost". The last upper I acquired was a Northern Competition upper w/early Bushmaster lower w/Milazzo trigger. This combination shot a 200-15X sitting rapid fire at a Stone Bay (Camp LeJune) match. I shoot at Quantico, Camp Butner, NC and Stone Bay (restricted to .223).

Thanks, Andy
Old 02-09-2010, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Sounds like the RRA is the way to go, then. What are the advantages to the space gun?
The space guns certainly allow you a lot of leeway on stock positions, etc. but if you want to shoot Leg matches, you'll need an AR that meets the Service Rifle rules and a space gun is definitely not a Service Rifle. Most of the big NRA matches I go to have enough SR's vs Match rifles, that they will have two classes within each ranking so you're not competing against a space gun for first Expert or whatever. I'm pushing 62, but still able to see that front sight and I'm able to go from standing to sitting, etc. for the rapid fires when my back is not acting up, so I'm sticking with the SR for now.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:12 AM

RM97--Look into the CMP special introductory EIC matches. M16 at CP nationals and M1 plus Pistol?? at Eastern Games-Camp Butner. this May. As stated above, Bushmaster and RR ARs will get the job done--you can get a bit more with some of the AM triggers, hi $$ barrels and pinned rear sights but it's mostly up to you--as I'm sure you know. Good Shooting.......
Old 02-09-2010, 11:03 AM

ANDYZ28,
Unfortunately, I don't think I will be ready to buy another rifle for a little while. But will check back with you when I am to see if you still have yours.

CDRT,
Thanks for the clarification. I definitely want to stick to the Service Rifles for now.

ceresco,
I had not heard of introductory EIC matches. I saw the 2009 postings for the Camp Perry Small Arms Firing Schools that had an EIC match at the end, but they have not posted the 2010 schedule. Is that what you were referring to? I would really like to attend both the Service Pistol and Rifle SAFS. My only hitch is potentially being in the middle of pre-deployment work-up during the time they are offered this Summer.

Collectively, do y'all have any recommendations on a shooter's box? Thanks.