Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S99VG View Post
I know some say they were a great deal, but I can't warm up to them. Guess I like my M14s made here - but thats just me.
A Springfield M1A receiver is not made here.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:43 PM

It's not cast here. It's cast in Canada. They make good stuff in Canada and know what the term quality control means.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammonje View Post
It's not cast here. It's cast in Canada. They make good stuff in Canada and know what the term quality control means.
The Chinese M14 receivers were forged and generally high quality. When they were being imported, they were popular builds for match M14 clones. The rest of the rifle wasn't so hot. I understand the current rifle imported into Canada for $450/per is not bad.

My point was that if you're buying an SAI rifle because it's "made here", it isn't. The receivers are made in Canada (Australia at one point) and most of the rest of the components are or at least were from Wayne Machine in Taiwan. We - the US - know what quality control means, but that doesn't make Fed Ord an example of it....
Old 08-22-2012, 06:45 PM

Fed Ord did not come with a lifetime, no questions asked warranty either. I would prefer anything made in Taiwan over mainland China. At least they were influenced by Western manufacturing processes being in our camp along with South Korea and Japan. Look at their products...they make incredible products. Samsung, Sony, Toshiba, Toyota, Nissan, Hundai, need I go on. Name one Chinese manufactured product line on par with them. There are none. I would rather have WMI than Polytech or Norinco. At least they run on market forces and business ethics, not bribes.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammonje View Post
I would prefer anything made in Taiwan over mainland China.
As would I, yet SAI products are still not "made here", which was my whole and entire point.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:58 PM

Again, never said Chinese rifles couldn't be made into good shooters. Can't say that too much. But, in our current economy and the virtual tsunami of manufacturing jobs going to China I'm far more at ease supporting domestic products. I just think its a wise investment in our futures. Which might be why I built a M14/M1A on a Fulton receiver with HRA parts. To each his own and thats my own.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:41 PM

First of all I have no prejudice here I own an LRB, Sa inc. NM and a Norinco. If you want Norinco you will get a good rifle. You won't be putting anyone out of a job. They haven't imported a Norinco or Poly into the US for at nearly 20 years. As a matter of fact you would probably be adding to our economy when you start to up grade your rifle. As to interchangeability only a hand full of parts won't interchange. Keep an eye on your head space and you should be good to go.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:42 PM

In defense of my poor Fed Ord: This thread inspired me to drag it out of the back of the safe and take it to the range. The Garand gave me all sorts of problems, the (semi-auto) Thompson gave me a few problems. Bummer. This rapid fire stuff is still a mystery for someone consumed with black powder cartridge rifles - you know, one at a time, slowly.

You know what ran like a top spitting out the 7.62 like it is supposed to? You guessed it, that poor, despised CA receiver with the unidentified parts.

As an aside - I amazed there are no identifying marks on anything but an electro-penciled number on the trigger group. Was that normal back then for those ChiCom parts?
Old 08-24-2012, 07:18 PM

Smile

I have a polytech M14S which has a GI bolt,op rod,trigger group and it fires very very well. I have no problem out of it and the barrel is outstanding that include headspacing to. I am very happy.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:31 PM

For the price they are hard to beat. They have one piece forged oprods, forged receivers, chrome lined barrels.... The bolts can be a problem but can have a USGI bolt installed with a little work.... The stocks suck but a USGI stock fits... (35 bucks in the estore) Only other problem is the rear sight... and a USGI sight fits with zero issues. (just install one last night)

All and all not bad if you can find one under 800 bucks.