Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammonje View Post
...... They all are standards shooting @ 1 MOA. Everything is USGI except the receiver and they are all matched......

I just wanted to shout out another thank you to Jason.

For years, I have been trying to tell folks that the platform is capable of MOA shooting without any extra effort really. All it needs is some good handloads or good match ammo, the ferrule clearanced so it doesn't bang around and get hit by the barrel, the proper draw pressure and fit in a stock that allows the right draw, and no bedding whatsoever.

I only bed one if the draw is not sufficient. Lots of them, I just move the ferrule down some and squeeze the liner to fit the legs better and glue it in the stock, then make sure the trigger group will latch up correctly. That is why most older stocks from military supply will have the trigger group pad locations smeared with marinetex or bisonite. They will shoot lights out let me tell you. It really gets off with some guys when a stock rifle will outshoot their supermatch, super expensive rifles.

All I ever got from guys was guff, about how the military required this and that size group....and that is all they are capable of doing......nonsense.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:48 AM

Thanks for the encouraging words Rip.

When I want to make accuracy claims I take pictures of my groups. Also match shooters know I can hold 'em. I cannot hold near MOA groups everyday, but on good days I can. Only mods I did were the ones listed. As you related the trigger groups sometimes get bedded in if the lockup is weak. That's about it. You need a 1" belt sander, a few wood rasps, a die grinder on a rheostat, and a fine India stone. Not too much tooling to perform these mods. Next I need to perfect my bedding technique and I am working on it as we speak.

I think the aftermarket Criterion barrels make a substantial upgrade from the USGI barrels as well. That may be where some are resistant to believing such claims.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:15 PM

You are welcome sir. It is comforting to see so many more guys getting into building these rifles, after all, we will not be around forever and need to pass the information on to others for our posterity.

If the OP will forgive us for hijacking his thread for a bit, I would like to address your remark about Criterion barrels and the imporvement over the original G.I. barrels. Lately, I have seen several Criterion barrels used in CMP rebuilds on Garands that were, for lack of a better word, horrendous. The chambers were reamed with what looked like a worn out drill bit. They had lines and gouges all over the bottlenecks in the chambers, and just would not function correctly.

On the M1A/M14 end, I have seen some decent shooting Criterion barrels though, but in comparison with G.I. barrels shooting the same ammo, I am seeing much better accuracy with the G.I. barrels. So recently I decided to look into this and see if it was just a fluke from a varied selection of rifles in my collection and other's rifles with Criterions, and chose to slug the barrels.

I recently took up casting for my M14's and testing with the .311 and .309 caliber projectiles, and I had some of those laying around to use for slugging. Now the surprising part.....When I slugged a Wolfe barrel (made by Criterion)of a friends rifle (chrome lined) it was tight at the muzzle end as the slug went down, and had to be beaten with a mallet for the first 3" or so, then the slug was able to be pushed with one fingertip and the rod, till about 3" in front of the chamber, no resistence whatsoever, at one point, I thought is was going to fall out of the chamber end, then finished with mallet and rod and was tight again.

Repeated the same process on my G.I. barrels, and they had to be beaten all the way through. Now I know why Gus said the armorers only used air gauged barrels for the NM rifle builds.

So in short, if I had a choice, I would choose the G.I. barrels over the Criterions any day. Not just for the nostalgia, but for accuracy as well. It is sad that we are probably seeing the last of these forever though. If I knew where to buy a hundred of them right now, I wouldn't hesitate to do so.

P.S.
To be fair, I do have one Criterion G.I. profile barrel that will hold it's own against the G.I. ones. For how long, remains to be seen.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:24 PM

Just an update ; I took jeremy69's advice and called Croc's and ordered a Smith receiver with a backorder of a couple of months. His are also cheaper than R-guns and being able to talk with a nice and knowledgable person, rather than a machine is definitely a plus.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:28 PM

Anthony "croc" is good people for sure, it's hard to get HIM off the phone sometimes when he get going... Not your usual experience, but in a good way and not common these days. Reminds me of Claude at RA and Mike at WCS, contact them for your GI M14 parts needs...
Old 02-19-2013, 09:35 PM

Couldn't agree more. Croc, Claude, Mike, and Randy at Treeline are good folks to deal with. They're easy going and good businessmen.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:32 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy69 View Post
Anthony "croc" is good people for sure, it's hard to get HIM off the phone sometimes when he get going... Not your usual experience, but in a good way and not common these days. Reminds me of Claude at RA and Mike at WCS, contact them for your GI M14 parts needs...
Yes they are !! + 100 to that !
Old 02-24-2013, 01:10 PM

How do I get in contact with croc ???
Old 02-24-2013, 02:27 PM

Call him, 505-757-3461.. He is actually reachable by phone which is really rare in this business right now.