Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2019, 06:13 PM

Default new guy, pictures and questions

New guy with first post to a great forum! Iím trying to learn as much as I can about this firearm.
I recently bought a M1 Garand Springfield s/n 5385xxx which I think places it about 1954 mfg. Itís a mixmaster with a 4-63 dated barrel (I didnít think barrels were still being made at this point). Looking for comments on my stock. The flash pictures put the colors off somewhat and the stock is not as glossy as the pictures show. The DOD stamp, the circle P stamp along with a very faint square P (near the trigger guard) are present. The stock has been glass bedded for the trigger group (and locks up very nicely). Iím told this glass bedding is definitely Springfield Armoryís technique. The stock is beautiful but I assume its been refinished to some degree although I donít see traces of heavy sanding but only what looks like possible light sanding marks. I believe the stock is birch don't you think? Refinishing of wood and wanting a walnut stock almost put me off buying this M1 but I got it at a pretty good price so I went for it. The US Army issued me a M1 Garand in 1960 but they made me give it back when discharged so now at age 77 I got this one to replace it.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:20 PM

Nice rifle...glad you got another one!!
Old 01-18-2019, 10:55 PM

While the color might be light, based on the pore size and number of, that stock might be walnut.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:01 AM

Pretty nice-looking rig you have there.
The stock looks to me to be an original Springfield Walnut stock that has been through at least two rebuilds.
The first rebuild done at Red River Army Depot and the P in a square proof applied. They typically sanitized stocks of all markings so original DAS would be mostly, if not completely gone.
The second rebuild done at Springfield where they typically did bed the TG lockup area. They also likely put the DAS and the serif P in circle Proof at that time as well.
If the barreled receiver and stock actually go together, it is likely that you should see an etching on the right side forward receiver leg that would have the initials SA for Springfield and then numerals for the month and year. Don't be surprised if it just looks like hen scratches for the etching. SA was notorious for terrible penmanship on these.
The 60's replacement barrels are typically dated to match or maybe as much as three months before the rebuild date.

Let me know if it does have some form of etching on the receiver leg.

Rob
Old 01-19-2019, 01:50 PM

rob, no etchings on leg. What does that mean? Looks like I have a lot to learn. Thank you all for the comments.

Old 01-19-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnv View Post
rob, no etchings on leg. What does that mean? Looks like I have a lot to learn. Thank you all for the comments.

Without the leg etch I would say the barreled receiver likely did not go thru Springfield during the 60's like the stock did. The barrel date did give me hope though.
An outstanding-looking rifle in every respect.

enjoy!
Rob