Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2014, 08:24 AM

Default Oct 1942 WRA Rear Sight

I have misrepresented the WRA I picked up at the South Store a week ago; I had originally dated the rifle to be Oct of 43 build, but looking back, it is an Oct of 42 build per serial number 1.24mil. So as much as I would like to install a set of Lockbar rear sights, it would seem that this rifle would have come with Flush Nut rear sights (?) Can anyone confirm this?

Here is the closest graphic I have found to support this:

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster, and if you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Last edited by DRAGON64; 04-25-2014 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:27 AM

According to the latest information (Canfield's new book) WRA went to the lock bar sights in Feb 43 so it would seem that yours would be correct with the flush nut.
CMP Customer Since 98

Feedback Thread
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=167261
Old 04-25-2014, 01:51 PM

Good and bad; good that I know what I need to keep an eye out for, bad that lock bars would not be correct... Thanks Nodak71.

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster, and if you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 04-25-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGON64 View Post
Good and bad; good that I know what I need to keep an eye out for, bad that lock bars would not be correct... Thanks Nodak71.
Flush nut sights will cost you a small fortune!
Old 04-25-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin in NH View Post
Flush nut sights will cost you a small fortune!
Not to mention there is a reason they put the lockbars on them... the elevation wouldn't hold zero very well on a flush nut. So if you hope to shoot the rifle....
Old 04-25-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGON64 View Post
If you are looking for an alternative to the high dollar parts, you could consider repros. I know many collectors don't want repros or fake parts but if a guy is on a budget that could be an option. You might check an outfit called Outpost Armory, I admit I have never dealt with them but someone on this site suggested them. They do have both original and repro sight parts, repro flush nuts are shown at $30 and originals I think are $50.

www.outpostarmory.com is the web address

Good luck on your project, Winchesters are always a challenge especially with the earlier ones.
CMP Customer Since 98

Feedback Thread
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=167261
Old 04-25-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose View Post
Not to mention there is a reason they put the lockbars on them... the elevation wouldn't hold zero very well on a flush nut. So if you hope to shoot the rifle....
I havent ever had any issues with the Flush Nut sights not holding zero. I beleive the main reason for the change was you had to use the combo tool to loosen/tighen the Flush Nut. The Lock Bar was much faster/easier. JMO
Old 04-25-2014, 02:48 PM

Well thanks everyone, I do appreciate the help and advice. Correcting an expensive rifle is not my deal, as I just don't have the funds... probably should have thought of that before I purchased right (?) So much simpilar with a fine built HRA service grade (or better).

Still though, this is a 1942 Winchester...

I'll mull over what to do next... may have to back up and punt!

Old 04-25-2014, 02:59 PM

Stick with it. If you can't swing the funds for the WRA flush nut sight right now then just enjoy what you have. It's a gem, and I'd be happy with that rifle any day of the week and then some.

Cheers!!!
Old 04-25-2014, 03:36 PM

For a budget, I can always install the repro till I luck up on a set... imam1collector, I will PM you now.