Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2016, 07:12 PM

Default M1A1 Paratrooper Value...

I came across what appears to be a legitimate M1A1 Paratrooper in a pawn shop. Stock wood is walnut with appropriate use and battle scars and appears correct with a "circled P" at the rear above the pistol grip attachment, an "IO" and "Crossed Cannons" visible at the bottom of the pistol grip. There are no rearsenal cartouches. It is a high wood stock cw the early first run. The metal is parked. The leather looks good and has rivets that look appropriate but are dull silver in color...don't know if it was replaced. There is an "II" stamped oiler. All the external hardware has the correct early components with appropriate stampings as listed in USCarbine30calM1. All the parked metal has a nice appropriate aged patina. The SN is 959XXX which puts it as late 1943. The barrel is a GM Inland of 1/44 which I thought was a little later than I would have thought for the assembly. Overall it looks exactly like I would have expected the paratroopers to have taken into France on D-Day. Any ideas of an approximate value and offer I should make for it? The asking price is 2.9K.

Last edited by peterpy; 03-18-2016 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:15 PM

Yes, I would love to see some photos of this legitimate M1A1 from the pawn shop. That should help greatly with answering your question on value.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:32 PM

Does the butt plate have numbers/letters/symbols cast into it?
Old 03-18-2016, 08:52 PM

Yes, all the casting numbers are there as I have seen elsewhere. My only confusion is the SN indicating an assembly of fall of 1943 and the barrel of 1/44 which doesn't make sense to me. But, I gather there is no good documentation of specific SN and production dates for the M1A1 and things could legitimately be off. The leather and rivets may have been replaced because I think it looks too good for its age and the rivets are a dull aluminum like color...I have seen them mostly darkened. I did not take any pics of it. But, I have a sense that this may be under priced and a good find. I may just need to take the plunge on this. I've seen a lot worse condition M1A1's with rearsenal markings and torn up or badly replaced leather and variable inappropriate rear sights and front bands selling for much more. The external parts appear to be appropriate for a first run late '43 build. I did not look at the internals.

Last edited by peterpy; 03-18-2016 at 09:03 PM.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:04 PM

Pics or it didn't happen.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:12 PM

Trust me...it exists as described. I am going back to look at it tomorrow and maybe will go to a local show to see and compare to what else is out there. And will take some pics and post. I was just trying to get a rough idea of the value of these paratroopers for an idea of negotiating a deal. The more I think about it and look up things on the net, the more I think I should go for it.

Last edited by peterpy; 03-18-2016 at 09:17 PM.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:45 PM

Curious - di ya do it?
Old 04-04-2016, 10:46 PM

And then I woke up.