Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2010, 03:53 PM

Default Which Carbine to Order?

Hello All,

I'm going to be purchasing 2 M1 Carbines this month.

Question: Which should I order?

My criteria is to get the best condition rifles I can. I purchased 2 M1 Garands recently, and both are in beautiful condition. However, I've seen some pretty rough Carbines on this forum as well as others as it appears that carbines are starting to dry up.

Any good luck with the Bavarian ones? Any particular make model that seems to be getting good picks? I just want ato try and get a couple of nice clean, good shooting rifles that are not going to require a complete make over.

I know it's luck of the draw, but any advice/information would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
Next to me in the blackness lay my oiled blue steel beauty. The greatest Christmas gift I had ever received, or would ever receive. Gradually, I drifted off to sleep, pringing ducks on the wing and getting off spectacular hip shots.

Ralphie from "A Christmas Story"
Old 02-17-2010, 04:08 PM

As you have read, its all lucky of the draw. If your main concern is overall condition, you greatly increase your chances by getting the Bavarian Service Grade. As you noted, the rack grades are strickly hit or miss - mostly miss for overall condition. The best way to choose is to go to one of the stores and hand-pick what you want.

The carbines are almost gone and it is bottom of the barrel for selection.

Just my two cents worth...
Old 02-17-2010, 04:16 PM

Like Tired Retired said if you just want the best of what is left go with the service grade Bavarians, however if you want a specific manufacturer (or are strapped for funds) you are going to be stuck with th 6 types of rackers that are left.

Just remember even the roughest one will be better than nothing when they are gone. Also when they are gone expect the street and GB price to steadily creep on up.

Flem
Old 02-17-2010, 05:50 PM

The service grade Bavarians aren't necessarily very good either. Try to prepare yourself for one barely meeting the Service Grade criteria. That way you won't be too disappointed, and may be pleasantly surprised.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:27 PM

Now with the new Service Grade listings, is this the way to go? If so, are Winchesters worth the extra $100?
Next to me in the blackness lay my oiled blue steel beauty. The greatest Christmas gift I had ever received, or would ever receive. Gradually, I drifted off to sleep, pringing ducks on the wing and getting off spectacular hip shots.

Ralphie from "A Christmas Story"
Old 02-18-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mls343 View Post
Now with the new Service Grade listings, is this the way to go? If so, are Winchesters worth the extra $100?
Absolutely go with the service grade. The Winchester is worth the hundred bucks if the name is important to you. You have just as good a chance of a good rifle with any of the manufacturers.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:19 PM

I agree with Rock. Definitely go Service Grade now that they are available. They won't last long. Pick out whatever manufacturers interest you. Winchesters are cool 'cause of the name and history. Standard Products were made right there in Port Clinton Ohio, home of CMP. Whatever you choose just place the order quickly; my guess is they will be gone within a week.
Bill

Last edited by Gunner945; 02-18-2010 at 07:45 PM. Reason: spelling sucks
Old 02-18-2010, 04:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to deputy85

10-20-30 years down the road, the winchester will be the clear winner , the name just gets better with age
Old 02-18-2010, 04:26 PM

The Winchester name always has cachet, probably always will.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:03 PM

My vote is for the Winchester. I ordered one last year and it arrived about 50% WRA Mixmaster, Bonus was they were the major parts, Reciever, Barrel, trigger housing, Slide and bolt. Stock was a SA Pot Belly replacement.

The Winchester Name sells itself.