Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2010, 09:28 PM

Default Gun store pickup

I bought an IBM carbine two weeks ago. This was my first carbine, the sn being 379xxxx and barrel date 12-43. Receiving three books on carbines I today took the gun apart. Every piece is marked with an IBM proof (I didnt detail strip the bolt although it was marked on the right lug with a "B". I did detail strip the trigger housing and all the parts were appropriately marked. The wood was all IBM proofed and in great shape as was the bore. The one part I need advice on is the rear sight which is adjustible and marked with a "H" surrounded with a shield. I realize this gun probably had a flip-sight when produced but one book said this sight was appropriate because IBM did install the shield "H" later. Any comments?
Should I replace the sight with a flip-sight IBM or leave it alone? Do I need a special tool to put the trigger assembly back into the trigger housing? I feel fortunite that the pieces are all IBM. Comments would be appreciated as I am new to the carbine collecting society. Thanks
Old 02-17-2010, 09:56 PM

Pictures are always appreciated, and usually required to ID parts. That being said, it sounds like you found a good one.

The rear sight has probably been replaced. My 3890xxx IBM also has the same type of sight, but you can see where the original flipper was staked to the receiver. I would guess you can see yours too. Look at the left and right edges of the dovetail. If you see tiny square dents along the edge of the dovetail it probably had a flip sight on it. The adjustable sights are usually punch staked nearer the center and are mostly round.

You can replace it if you want, but be prepared a pay a bunch. Also if it is staked, there is a possibility of damaging the receiver when you try to remove the adjustable sight.

No special tools required to disassemble or reassemble the trigger housing. A trigger spring tool is nice to have, but you can get away without one. I think there is a link on the carbine sales page that shows you what you need to know.

Welcome to the club.....
Old 02-17-2010, 10:37 PM

Your rec. used a serial # from a block used around early 1944 and barrel of 12-43 seem like a reasonable match. Riesch shows that if it is a milled rear sight Type II or stamped III and in the serial range of 3,964,000 is what IBM used (both milled and stamped were used concurrently). Not sure of the date on which adj sights was implemented but I believe it was some time after April of 1944.
I have a trigger spring tool but find after putting the trigger in place with pin in, it goes into the trigger spring well o.k. but seems to stick when removing the trigger spring tool (maybe a rough edge on the inside) so you have to hold the spring in place when you remove the tool. I bot a crochet hook for $1.50, bent it in a small "C" to fit the spring recess hole, then in pulling it in reverse I only had to lift the spring bottom over the sear pedestal and it seats in the spring well. (Necessity, curiosity or stubborness can be the mother of invention). Don't know which method others would find easiest. Any comments ???
Congrats on snagging your carbine!!! Leave it "as is" it sounds as near perfect a purchase as you could have made!!!

Last edited by MhoinNV; 02-17-2010 at 10:50 PM. Reason: add
Old 02-17-2010, 10:46 PM

Default Ibm

I am going to get my wife to help me with pictures. Soon, I hope. Thanks for the advice.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:08 AM

Your carbine would have been assembled with a flip sight coded IN B or FO B.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:12 AM

MhoinNV, If adjustable sights were implemented some time after April 1944 as you believe than IMB would not have used adjustable sights. IBM's last sizeable delivery was in April 1944 with only 25 delivered in May 1944.

Red pen time again?
Old 02-18-2010, 10:23 AM

I received a very nice, SG IBM Bavaria Forestry Police with flip-sight, when they were offered. It is very close to correct and original, I believe.

Ser # 3880xxx - February 1944
Barrel - I.B.M. CORP. - undated
Stock - (low-wood) BR-B
Barrel Band - Type I, KV-B
Mag Catch - (early-type) - EPB
Trigger House - BE-B
Hammer - AM B
Bolt - (round) - AOB
Front Sight - SI B
Rear Flip-Sight - FO-B

Only non-IBM parts are:

Handguard - 2-rivet, IO (Inland)
Op Slide - PI - (Inland)
Safety - (Late) flip-type

Scott Duff's book says your ser# is in the Oct-Dec, 1943 range (3678000-3838000)
I'd guess it originally had a flip-sight.
I'd leave it the way it is. Sounds like a nice carbine, congratulations, and enjoy it!