X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vick
    • Apr 2010

Ammo Available

How much 30/06 is left thru CMP? Should I do a 7.62 Garand?

Thanks for any info.
    Last edited by vick; 03-23-2012, 10:39 PM.
  • deputy85
    • Oct 2009

10s of millions of rds still of 30-06 no shortage
    Mike H.-- Legion Life Member,VFW Member, CMP member since 2004 and am in my own mind

Comment

• lennnorment
      • Oct 2009

ammo

Number of rounds is not the real issue. How long it will last is the right question to ask.

Comment

• vick
        • Apr 2010

I have started loading 308 and 223... Just curious about what will be available in the future thru CMP 30/06

Comment

• Eljay
          • Oct 2010

As far as we can tell there's a couple of year supply. The standard recommendation is to buy a ton of it, save the brass, and plan on reloading it or buying commercial in the long run.

Comment

• pro-nra
            • Mar 2011

I'm guessing a year and a half to two max. Once we see the spam cans again then that is the sunset of the HXPs.
            100% Service Connected Disabled Veteran.

Comment

• Hacker
              • Oct 2009

Originally posted by pro-nra View Post
              Once we see the spam cans again then that is the sunset of the HXPs.
              Based on what intel?

All I have understood is that Orest wants to clear through the "loose" stuff before moving on to the next pallet or container with the clipped cans.

I have never read that there is any relation between getting back to the clipped cans and the beginning-of-the-end of the HXP supply.
              OIF veteran 2003
              OEF veteran 2007/2011

Comment

• steelap
                • Oct 2009

There are a number of .308 Garands running around. I have one (by Shuff) and I like it.

The CMP is supposedly going to start selling .308 Garand barrels. They had a .308 CMP Special on auction; maybe we'll start seeing them in the Stores and mail order.

"Life is Good!"

Comment

• Craftsman
                  • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Hacker View Post
                  Based on what intel?

All I have understood is that Orest wants to clear through the "loose" stuff before moving on to the next pallet or container with the clipped cans.

I have never read that there is any relation between getting back to the clipped cans and the beginning-of-the-end of the HXP supply.
                  When this current shipment/boatload of 50 million + rounds arrived from Greece 2-3 years ago, in many configurations, Orest said he estimated it to last around 5 years at current rate of sale. They've sold off most of the configurations, including:
                  non-corrosive USGI AP in sealed spam cans,
                  WWII AP on stripper clips in original WWII bandos repacked in .50 cal cans,
                  non corrosive USGI M2 ball in clips in .30 cal cans,
                  belted HXP of 250 rounds in metal links repacked in WWII ammo cans,
                  clipped HXP in .30 cal cans,
                  20 round boxed HXP in spam cans,
                  loose HXP in .30 cal cans
                  and clipped HXP in spam cans which they have, as Orest told us a while back, probably a months supply left before all sold out. So, from what I've read from the Chief (Orest), there is presently 2 years +/- of loose cans left, followed by a final month +/- "FEEDING FRENZY" for us ammo sharks, to gobble up the last of the surplus M2 ammo. He's not given any indication the CMP will ever find/bring in another huge load of surplus Garand feed. Said they'll work with commercial manufactureres to continue to offer new made 30-06, though at higher cost. So, what he told us on this forum when this load arrived several years ago, "The CMP is not everyone's personal ammo warehouse. Each man can/should create his own personal stockpile." Wise words, for those of us fortunate to be here today, with still the chance to, "SQUIRREL IT AWAY FOR THE FUTURE".
                  Grandfathers Dwight & Percy- Both WWI US Army, Tank Corps & Corps of Engineers
                  Uncle Colby- WWII US Army Infantry - European Theater / Battle of the Bulge
                  Dad - US Army 1954-1956 Infantry Radio/Morse Code Instructor, Fort Knox

VFW Patriots Circle Member
                  NRA Life Member
                  CMP - GSVMM Master Instructor

Comment

• sjames
                    • Oct 2009

Craftsman is right. Orest has indicated that the end of the loose and the start of the clipped is the vanguard of the last of the surplus.
                    And so is Eljay. Buy what you can, save the brass and reload.

Plenty of years of shooting relatively cheap 3006 left if you do that.

sjames

Comment

• Scrounger
                      • Oct 2009

Originally posted by lennnorment View Post
                      Number of rounds is not the real issue. How long it will last is the right question to ask.
                      You might as well ask "how long is a piece of string"

Comment

• pro-nra
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Hacker View Post
                        Based on what intel?

From reading between the lines of what Orest have said on many of his post.

Craftsman's reply is right on.

Originally posted by Craftsman View Post
                        When this current shipment/boatload of 50 million + rounds arrived from Greece 2-3 years ago, in many configurations, Orest said he estimated it to last around 5 years at current rate of sale. They've sold off most of the configurations, including:
                        non-corrosive USGI AP in sealed spam cans,
                        WWII AP on stripper clips in original WWII bandos repacked in .50 cal cans,
                        non corrosive USGI M2 ball in clips in .30 cal cans,
                        belted HXP of 250 rounds in metal links repacked in WWII ammo cans,
                        clipped HXP in .30 cal cans,
                        20 round boxed HXP in spam cans,
                        loose HXP in .30 cal cans
                        and clipped HXP in spam cans which they have, as Orest told us a while back, probably a months supply left before all sold out. So, from what I've read from the Chief (Orest), there is presently 2 years +/- of loose cans left, followed by a final month +/- "FEEDING FRENZY" for us ammo sharks, to gobble up the last of the surplus M2 ammo. He's not given any indication the CMP will ever find/bring in another huge load of surplus Garand feed. Said they'll work with commercial manufactureres to continue to offer new made 30-06, though at higher cost. So, what he told us on this forum when this load arrived several years ago, "The CMP is not everyone's personal ammo warehouse. Each man can/should create his own personal stockpile." Wise words, for those of us fortunate to be here today, with still the chance to, "SQUIRREL IT AWAY FOR THE FUTURE".
                        100% Service Connected Disabled Veteran.

Comment

• Eljay
                          • Oct 2010

I also seem to recall that Orest pointed out that it would most likely not be at the same price the spam cans were at originally.

Comment

• Craftsman
                            • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Eljay View Post
                            I also seem to recall that Orest pointed out that it would most likely not be at the same price the spam cans were at originally.
                            A++.
                            My first ever ammo order from CMP was 4/29/09, (yes I save every paper invoice in a "packed" CMP folder) for the still available 192 rnds LC on clips for $60 a can. That's just 3 YEARS AGO! Got an e-mail, "Sorry, just sold out of LC. Want substitute of HXP, same item/same price?". Answer, "Yes". When this current large shipment came in, some months later and hit sales, new price for same item was $75 per can. About year later, nother increase to $96 per 192 cliped/spam cans. And yes, Orest has said not to assume the same current price when the last of the spam cans hit sales. Likely around $120-$125 a can, STILL, a good deal in my book, and it will fly off the shelves. Most new guys to the party today, are paying quite a bit for the 24 clips, that used to include, "for free" with your can of ammo.
                            Grandfathers Dwight & Percy- Both WWI US Army, Tank Corps & Corps of Engineers
                            Uncle Colby- WWII US Army Infantry - European Theater / Battle of the Bulge
                            Dad - US Army 1954-1956 Infantry Radio/Morse Code Instructor, Fort Knox

VFW Patriots Circle Member
                            NRA Life Member
                            CMP - GSVMM Master Instructor

Comment

• lennnorment
                              • Oct 2009

ammo

Originally posted by Scrounger View Post
                              You might as well ask "how long is a piece of string"
                              That is easy, a piece of string is EXACTLY twice as long as 1/2 of it. (And there is EXACTLY 12,834,220 rds. of HXP left. That includes the 4,229 cans of clipped).

Comment

Working...
                              X