Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2012, 09:17 AM

Finally had a chance to get my surplus Rem .22 out to the range this weekend. It was excellent. 300 rounds total in two weapons. Not a single failure to feed, fire or extract/eject. This is especially good because ~150 went thru a Walther P22 which is very finnicky about what it likes. The other 150 were out of a S&W 7" M41. Excellent accuracy. Clean up of both pistols was about as easy as it gets. Very, very little residue or powder. If more ever comes available, I'll jump on it immediately.

Last edited by mineralman55; 05-07-2012 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Bad math :-)
Old 05-07-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineralman55 View Post
Finally had a chance to get my surplus Rem .22 out to the range this weekend. It was excellent. 300 rounds total in two weapons. Not a single failure to feed, fire or extract/eject. This is especially good because ~250 went thru a Walther P22 which is very finnicky about what it likes. The other 250 were out of a S&W 7" M41. Excellent accuracy. Clean up of both pistols was about as easy as it gets. Very, very little residue or powder. If more ever comes available, I'll jump on it immediately.
Glad to hear a good report. Like so many CMP "blow-out specials" I now wish I'd ordered 4 or 5 more cases. Ordered two, one for me, and one for our JC Garand Match Director. When they finally came, I called him up and asked, "Joe, that .22 ammo came from the CMP, ya still want it?" (I guess I was secretly hoping he'd changed his mind!) "Of course I want it", he replied. I gave it to him at cost, but he insisted giving me a bit more for my time. He's a good guy, and I'm glad he got in on the deal.
I keep checking the surplus ammo section, waiting/hopin for it to "come back to life, with more goodies".
Old 05-07-2012, 11:27 AM

Default ammo

Craftsman.............Santa usually only comes ONCE a year. His real name is Orest.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mineralman55 View Post
Finally had a chance to get my surplus Rem .22 out to the range this weekend. It was excellent. 300 rounds total in two weapons. Not a single failure to feed, fire or extract/eject. This is especially good because ~150 went thru a Walther P22 which is very finnicky about what it likes. The other 150 were out of a S&W 7" M41. Excellent accuracy. Clean up of both pistols was about as easy as it gets. Very, very little residue or powder. If more ever comes available, I'll jump on it immediately.
+1 on the very clean part of this. Also, my Sig 1911-22 is finecky as hell about ammo. It WILL NOT SHOOT unplated lead rounds. It spits out the CMP surplus .22lr like PEZ. Clean up is basically a field strip and a quick wipedown and lube amd its ready to go again. I would buy a metric f*** load of this stuff if it came around again.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:10 PM

im just getting around to shooting the rem surplus i bought from the cmp.
dug out the old beater marlin model 60..... not thrilled or disapointed
25 yards,benched,rolled up jacket for support. daisy rear aperture sight from the daisy 853 and front blade, shoots high

1st group lower left 2nd group lower right with the rem surplus looks like its dated 1994 L001030

3rd group i filled the tube and let them fly,

took my last 8 shots at 50 yards, by this time i was cold and wind picked up plus im not used to these targets, think i would have done better with a black bull
Old 01-18-2018, 06:54 PM

Wow, zombie thread!

Iíll add my own update: since the thread started Iíve fired 20,000 rounds of this ammunition for the short line in Bullseye pistol. I trust it enough Iíve shot it in all the National Pistol Matches in the last six years and a number of state matches. For whatever reason the few duds Iíd had stopped early on and I saw maybe one dud per 1,000 rounds. Others see a higher dud rate, which I think is gun dependent and has to do with how hard the firing pin strikes the primer.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:49 AM

I will also add an update. It kills squirrels dead.