Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2017, 08:22 PM

Default More Dupage Garand Bayonets

Just an FYI, Dupage has a couple of new Garand bayonet offerings. First is an M5A1 bayonet with scabbard, Turkish made. These appear to be identical to the M5A1 Turk bayonets they were selling earlier for $10 each. Now they are offered with what I presume is the correct scabbard for $40 each. A pretty stiff price increase for just adding the scabbard, but I am ordering a couple just to get the scabbards.

They are also selling an odd Turkish conversion of a WW1 German ersatz bayonet, into an M5A1 configuration Garand bayonet. Comes with scabbard body, but no frog or hanger piece. These are $15 each. I ordered a couple of these. Never seen this one before.

As before, I have no connection to Dupage, other than being a customer. If you read my earlier reviews of the Turk M5A1 and mauser conversion Garand bayonets, you know I had a mixed experience, with the M5A1's being worth the money, the mauser conversions not so much. I have a hard time understanding how the scabbards add so much to the previous cost of the M5A1's. We'll see if they are worth the extra money. I will post a review of these bayonets when I receive them.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:13 PM

They are also having a blow out of firearms and stocks there today with a website revamp. My Page Monitor was lit up from them.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:27 PM

Thanks for the tip. I just ordered one of each.

FYI, when I added the second bayonet, their website just doubled the shipping (!) I called, and he said the new website is not right. The order was placed over the phone with a more reasonable shipping rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slufstuff View Post
... I have a hard time understanding how the scabbards add so much to the previous cost of the M5A1's. ...
In many cases (including this one) the scabbards are much more rare than the bayonets, commanding much higher prices.

Dan
Old 12-18-2017, 07:51 PM

A little delayed, but here is my promised review of the above bayonets. The items I received were 2 of the M5A1 with scabbards, plus 7 of the M5 style bayonet/knives with metal scabbards.

The M5A1's were just as the previous offering of these Turkish made bayonets. Both in very good condition, close to excellent. The scabbards I would rate as good, with some wear. The scabbards have the Turkish crescent moon and MKE markings. While similar in design to an M8A1 scabbard, these are completely different in execution, with steel scabbard bodies that have some type of blue or dark oxide finish. The webbing is different, with steel snaps. No belt hangers, these look to slip over a belt. I can recommend these, as they are not well known and a good addition to a bayonet collection or a Garand collection.

The other knives are very interesting, as they are made from WW1 German ersatz Mauser bayonets supplied to Turkey from Germany, with pressed steel handles and cut down bright blades. They have an "adapter" or space filler piece that fits between the grips and the cross guard. The cross guard has a crude, but solidly fitted stud that fits into the Garand gas lock screw like an M5. These bayonets were all in good condition. 3 of my 7 had some scattered rust spots, but not too bad. They cleaned up pretty well. These knives are completely unmarked. The blades are bright, the handles are some type of dark blue finish. The scabbards are blued steel, in good but worn condition, unmarked.

All in all, the knives I received were in better condition than the M1935 Turk Garand conversions I reviewed previously. These ersatz conversions are a good addition to a bayonet collection.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:06 PM

slufstuff, As always, thanks for the info and update.