Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2022, 02:20 PM

Kudos to Sparx and Rick B.!
Old 11-28-2022, 07:17 PM

Sparx, I haven't seen anyone criticizing RBs knowledge or challenging his conclusions in this thread or any other so not sure why you are defending that.

Like I said, every hobby has "experts" who choose to issue decrees without sharing the knowledge, and of course that is a personal choice.
I understand the thought process behind it, I just come to a different conclusion when I go through that process.
I will note that the majority of experts on this forum do share their knowledge and assist newer or less experienced collectors.

I will continue to find it funny that the people who tell us less knowledgeable abut a subject that we must "train our eyes" are the same ones who justify why we can't be "trained".

My record on fraud is pretty easy to locate, on as well as off this forum. I will note that the business of fraud has given me a pretty rewarding career.

Respectfully;
JH
Old 11-28-2022, 07:32 PM

I would bet that Rick would answer any members questions on the stamp in question in a private PM
Old 11-29-2022, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I would bet that Rick would answer any members questions on the stamp in question in a private PM
Old 11-29-2022, 10:31 AM

Obviously, fake stamps exist throughout the misurps gun collecting community. However, the entities that make them don't cater to just a few scammers (they wouldn't stay in business long if they did) and often they don't have the time, resources and in particular the skill to make the "perfect" reproduction stamp. My point is be careful how much credit is given to the fake stamp makers or any other maker of reproduction milsurp items, they are in it for the profit not the perfection of their wares.
Old 11-29-2022, 11:45 AM

I like a good cartouche as well as the next guy. Is there any consensus as to what to do with a fake? If I otherwise wanted the stock, Iíd probably sand it off. If it ainít legit, I donít give a sh**. Rick B, Iíd pm you with photos to verify before I did this. Iím currently looking at one that looks too good to be true. Besides, it might be the wrong cartouche for that stock. Canít remember who mentioned the little detail a few weeks ago that caught my attention, but thank you. It will definitely affect my top bid, if I even do so. But what if Iím moving it along? Sand it? Permanently mark the inside? What say you?
Old 11-29-2022, 12:48 PM

Fake stamps are a controversial issue.
Some people get very emotional about the idea; I suggest they scroll past my comments, thy wonít be convinced by me nor do I wish to try.

Some people derive some of their enjoyment from the hobby by recreating a specific item and have no ill will or intent.
There are companies that perform stamping services just like those who make reproduction parts, gear and patches.
As long as there is a market some people will try to fill it.
And like any commercial enterprise, some people will look for easy ways to make money, often using fraudulent means.
Repro stamps donít interest me but I know some collectors and enthusiasts who do like such things so I gladly defend their right to enjoy the hobby their way. That some use those tools fraudulently isnít their fault.

Fraud wonít go away by banning stamps any more that crime will decrease by passi g. Es laws. There are other ways to address fraud; the most effective focus on detection and focusing in those committing the fraud.
Old 11-29-2022, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Exactly! Has helped me for certain. PM or e-mail. Works great. Try it.
Old 11-29-2022, 02:21 PM

Default A half truth is a whole lie.

I give my complete respect to those who separate the wheat from the chaff.

As hypocrisy is said to be the highest compliment to virtue, the art of lying is the strongest acknowledgment of the force of truth.
Old 11-29-2022, 02:32 PM

The art of fakery was well represented for years in the Luger Community. With a little advance notice, a certain faker could produce virtually any Luger you wanted. If you happen to have been stiffed by the guy and called him out, he would profusely apologize and return your money...otherwise, his creations still circulate in the Luger World.
One of his best tricks was to get his finds and treasure published in someone's luger book.