Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2017, 05:25 PM

Default # 2 qualification

So we have all heard about the "pencil whipped" rifle scores. Well I was inspecting some of the demilled gas cylinders I got from Dupage. Inside one of the barrels I could see an obstruction, took a cleaning rod to it and out pops a little section of a pencil. I remember hearing about the #2 pencil qualification, where guys would make up their misses on paper with a #2 pencil, thus creating holes where bullets should have.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:05 PM

Interesting, never heard of that myself. I am amazed that the pencil stayed in there that long. Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-08-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Det. Jason 714 View Post
So we have all heard about the "pencil whipped" rifle scores. Well I was inspecting some of the demilled gas cylinders I got from Dupage. Inside one of the barrels I could see an obstruction, took a cleaning rod to it and out pops a little section of a pencil. I remember hearing about the #2 pencil qualification, where guys would make up their misses on paper with a #2 pencil, thus creating holes where bullets should have.
Iím trying to follow your story but am having trouble... You found a pencil inside of a demilled gas cylinder? How did putting a pencil in there fix the soldiers shooting scores???
Old 12-08-2017, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator

Interesting find Jason...the M2 pencil!
Curious how the muzzle and rifling looked on those barrel stubs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeroub View Post
I’m trying to follow your story but am having trouble... You found a pencil inside of a demilled gas cylinder? How did putting a pencil in there fix the soldiers shooting scores???
As stated, he found it in the barrel...each G/C came with a 3 inch stub of the barrel attached...
https://www.dupagetrading.com/produc...gas-cylinders/

CMP Customer / GCA Member / VFW & NRA Life Member

Feedback Thread: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=137544

Last edited by Big_Red; 12-08-2017 at 11:01 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:55 PM
Banned

..the trouble with humor is, not everybody gets it.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:56 AM

Hmmm.... On pistol qualifying ranges there were rumors of '9mm' scoring pens to help the few that just could not shoot well with the M9. Never actually saw one in action though.

Rich
Old 12-09-2017, 10:04 AM

When shooting IDPA matches I'd developed a 9mm reload with a 147g bullet that gave my heavy B92fs very little muzzle flip at all and was a bit quieter than a full load round. It was chronographed at several matches and by friends I'd give 10 RDS to test and always passed the power factor.

But it did look and sound underpowered and it became a running joke that I was shooting BBs or just primers yada yada.
At one match some friends delayed me after my run and moments later their came some cries of "come look at this!"

We we got to the targets some joker had placed spent bullets in the holes of an IDPA cardboard target..... thus "proving" that my rounds were underpowered.
I got a lot of requests for my secret recipe at the end of the match, guess the joke passed over a few heads??

My feedback thread
Old 12-09-2017, 02:01 PM

Angry

when I was in the National Guard back in 1953 we were in the Field Artillery so rifle qualification was considered a mere formality.The. .30 Cal. pencil was used t2o upgrade scores. Every one qualified Marksman even me with my Expert score.