Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2019, 05:34 PM

Default I got my call and More for you

Hey. I got my call on Wednesday. Gun has been shipped. Probably get it on Tuesday. My number was 95XX. I will post pics when I receive it.

I have been working on this 1911 project for about six weeks. I found a very competent gunsmith and he had the original specifications to take back a 1911 or 1911A1 pistol to a original finish for World War 2. I stripped the gun all the way down and cleaned it he then completely refinished it to the finish you see in the pictures attached.I have looked at many 1911 pistols in the last year at gun shows and it looks as nice as I have seen. I am going to to take my Colt pistol I received from the CMP and redo the finish to look like this one. If you have a gun that has been refinished already anyway I think this is a great final product. Cost was $175.00. Took about three weeks to get it back. If you have problems finding someone to do it I will send you the name of the company that did this one. Hope this helps someone. I am really pleased with the finished product.
Charlie
https://imgur.com/M0f9XfD
https://imgur.com/CIDPbez

Last edited by cb36; 10-20-2019 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:05 PM

Did he blue any of the parts or just parkerize everything?
Old 10-19-2019, 08:16 PM

Default 1911

He parkerized it but would have done the parts in blue if I would have asked. He even correctly did the front end of the pistol. The work is really good.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:24 PM

Could you share your random number? No reason I can see for keeping it a secret, but I may be missing something.

Your +$175 finish looks like what I received from CMP. Thanks, CMP!!
Old 10-19-2019, 08:35 PM

Default BSA Guy

Sent him a e-mail.
Charlie
Old 10-20-2019, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb36 View Post
Hey. I got my call on Wednesday. Gun has been shipped. Probably get it on Tuesday. My number was 95XX. I will post pics when I receive it.

I have been working on this 1911 project for about six weeks. I found a very competent gunsmith and he had the original specifications to take back a 1911 or 1911A1 pistol to a original finish for World War 2. I stripped the gun all the way down and cleaned it he then completely refinished it to the finish you see in the pictures attached.I have looked at many 1911 pistols in the last year at gun shows and it looks as nice as I have seen. I am going to to take my Colt pistol I received from the CMP and redo the finish to look like this one. If you have a gun that has been refinished already anyway I think this is a great final product. Cost was $175.00. Took about three weeks to get it back. If you have problems finding someone to do it I will send you the name of the company that did this one. Hope this helps someone. I am really pleased with the finished product.
Charlie
https://imgur.com/M0f9XfD
https://imgur.com/CIDPbez
Let me see if I am understanding you. You havent yet received your CMP pistol, yet have already decided to refinish it?
Old 10-20-2019, 01:23 AM

Quote:
I found a very competent gunsmith and he had the original specifications to take back a 1911 or 1911A1 pistol to a original finish for World War 2. I stripped the gun all the way down and cleaned it he then completely refinished it to the finish you see in the pictures attached.
Original specifications for what? An arsenal rebuilt pistol? The finish just appears to be manganese parkerizing.

Quote:
I am going to to take my Colt pistol I received from the CMP and redo the finish to look like this one.
Please reconsider that decision. The pistol that you receive will likely already have a very similar manganese or zinc phosphate finish...and it will be the correct finish that was applied during the arsenal rebuild process. Anything that you do to alter that finish will only result in devaluing the firearm.

Quote:
If you have a gun that has been refinished already anyway I think this is a great final product.
It's definitely not a bad solution for a pistol that has been refinished during its lifetime after service. However, if you're altering a finish that was applied during military service, you are making a huge mistake IMHO.

My feedback: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=131218
Old 10-20-2019, 06:18 AM

The 1911 you had refinished looks real nice but I think it would be a mistake to take a pistol that is as received from the Army and refinish it. The Parkerizing on my Anniston rebuilt Remington Rand CMP is lighter than your project pistol but is darkening with each application of oil after cleaning. These pistols are historically correct as rebuilt by the Army and part of their value is that they have not been messed with by Bubba. I cherish my CMP M1911a1 as it is and wouldn't consider changing anything. In the end, it is your pistol and you can do with it what you want but you are destroying much if its value by refinishing it. IMHO
Old 10-20-2019, 08:37 AM

Default Maj Dave and Cool Hand Luke

Thanks for the replies. I will rethink the Anniston rebuild a little more. The gun I sent pictures of is a Springfield receiver 1st year of production but it was rebuilt during WW2 and the slide was changed to Colt. Finish was really bad so I figured I would try it to see how it came out. My other gun for my wife will be here Tuesday.I have no plans to do anything with it except enjoy the firearm and then make sure it goes on to my grandsons to fight over later. if someone needs to redo a 1911 this is definitely a great alternative.
Charlie