Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2019, 09:48 PM

Thanks to all for the input.

I hope this was helpful to more than just me!

My feedback thread
Old 10-21-2019, 02:59 AM
Super Moderator

Whitney,
As far as reduced recoil itself, +1 to above post about downloaded 185 grain loads. Fellow mod Precision40 posted this in another thread...
http://forums.thecmp.org/showpost.ph...0&postcount=11

In the same thread, I posted about some production 165-grain loads that have significantly less recoil...snipped to include only relevant information:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Red View Post
If you donít hand load, I would highly recommend this offering from Federal:
https://www.federalpremium.com/produ...coil/pd45hs3-h

A little pricey, especially when compared to handloading but Iíve shot these and the recoil difference is quite noticeable, even less than my Colt .38 Super!
Power factor is about 155...which is on par with a 9mm +P round, and even lighter than a standard .38 Super load (which is about 165).
Have had family members comfortably shoot them in my 1911s who wonít shoot them even with standard 230 gr loads.

Even in a lightweight officers model (which can be tough when shooting 230 gr loads!), that Federal 165-gr cartridge is easy going.
As Johnho mentions, I will say you may have to switch to a lighter recoil spring for your pistol to function reliably with these rounds...had to use a 12-lb spring to get them to function in a modern Springfield 1911A1.
This will probably be a consideration in any reduced recoil load.

Again, those are pricey, especially when compared to rounds such as the Wilson Combat 200-gr L-SWC rounds rickgman mentions...about half the price when bought in bulk.
I've shot those as well and they have noticeably lighter recoil than standard 230-gr FMJ rounds.

Good luck,
Rob

CMP Customer / GCA Member / VFW & NRA Life Member

Feedback Thread: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=137544
Old 10-21-2019, 08:06 AM

I don't currently have a GI 1911 but do shoot a Springfield Armory Range Officer with reduced power springs and light cast bullet loads. There are a number of suppliers of commercial cast bullets, either traditional cast and lubed, plated or coated. Most run 8-10 cents each in bulk. Any of the fast burning powders will work for low end loads.

My load is 3.1 grs of Bullseye with a traditional cast and lubed 190 SWC. Feeds and functions reliably with a 10# recoil spring and 19# hammer spring. My buddy uses the 200 gr SWC coated bullet from (IIRC) Acme bullets. Don't recall his load but with the coating versus conventional lube it is not much dirtier than jacketed.

Only issue with a lighter SWC can be feeding, they can be finicky about OAL. Sometimes in some pistols they just don't work but if so there is a wide selection of commercial cast in RN and truncated cone shapes.

If you already reload the cost saving using commercial cast is significant. Given variables in component costs hard to say precisely but you should be able to shoot for about $7 a box.

I began casting years ago and collected free lead from the berms whenever I could. Right now I figure I am shooting my 45 for between $2.50 and $3.00 a box.