Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2009, 02:00 PM

Do you have a suggestion for a beginner loader to purchase? Nothing too expensive right off the bat but that could be added to in the future. I wouldn't mind eventually loading other calibers I own such as .303, .223, and maybe even .40, .45, .357, and 12ga. Thanks.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaCCaL View Post
Do you have a suggestion for a beginner loader to purchase? Nothing too expensive right off the bat but that could be added to in the future. I wouldn't mind eventually loading other calibers I own such as .303, .223, and maybe even .40, .45, .357, and 12ga. Thanks.
Books and when you done reading your first book read it again while you wait for your next book to arrive in the mail. I cannot stress the danger of not reloading correctly
Old 12-04-2009, 05:36 PM

And you should be worried.
Garand and M1A is not the best choice for self defense
Old 12-05-2009, 01:12 PM

Default To SaCCal...

Quote:
How does yours shoot GBS1? I am so afraid of buying a gun through the mail without seeing it first, especially something like a Garand.
I haven't yet put it on a bench rest and tested it at long range, but at 60 yards, my kid's Halloween pumpkins didn't stand a chance. I don't claim to be any great marksman, but my first two shots from a standing position were dead-center. There were two small holes in front, and the back was blasted out. I put several clips through it, including two-rounders and a single round "SLED". All worked perfectly. I'm taking it to a range for some work on a bench-rest in the next couple of weeks.

I certainly understand your reluctance to buy a gun "through the mail". I studied this for a while before coming to the conclusion that CMP is a reliable organization. Whether you buy a Service Grade or CMP Special, I don't think you'll be disappointed. If you want a "new" rifle, do the paperwork for a CMP Special, send in your $1,000, and don't worry about it. Although the paperwork disclaims any warranty, there are plenty of examples of CMP standing behind its products. I tend to believe that would apply even more to something they built.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:23 PM

Default When the Ammo Runs Out...

Quote:
I am just wondering what people are going to do when the surplus ammo runs out. Eventually it got to, it can't last forever. Either the modern companies are going to have to mass produce it more or there are going to be a lot guns hanging over people's mantles...
I don't think you have to worry about it becoming a door-stop because of ammo. As I noted earlier, American Eagle makes some reasonably priced Garand ammo. It isn't as inexpensive as the surplus stuff CMP sells, but at $20 a box, it's in the mid-range of commercial 30-06 ammo prices. There are a bunch of M1 users out there, and I suspect there are several companies that might produce ammo to fill that demand. Failing that, I've got this adjustable gas plug standing by.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:06 PM

When the -06 surplus runs out, I'm considering converting my Garand to a 7.62 NATO shooter. There's plenty of NATO surplus around, and should be for years to come, as it is still a military supported round. And new, mil-spec commercial loads can be had for less than the M1 specific loadings currently offered.
Only changes necessary is a barrel change. (And a vented gas plug, of course.) There are several choices of quality .308 barrels in military contour available.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:12 PM

SaCCal;

Go to YouTube. You can get a fairly good informal tutorage there on just about anything dealing with reloading. When you get ready to start buying, come back here and ask any and all questions you can think of.

There are different qualities in each reloading component. Myself, I prefer the RCBS product line. Others favor Lee, Redding, Hornady, Dillon, or other's. It's going to depend on how much cash you are willing to lay out. All of the above will give you great, consistent loads. The same goes with Reloading Manuals. There are some, and I forget which one, that give Garand specific loads. Ask questions, and shop around. There are many companies like MidSouth, MidWayUSA, Sinclair, Brownell's, Cabela's and other's that can supply everything needed to make very good loads, equal or better than what you can buy over the counter. Plus, IMHO, there is a special kind of therapy in rolling your own.

Best of luck to you Sir.
GCA Member #5701
CMP Customer #110194
Regards.
Stan
Old 12-07-2009, 01:22 AM

SaCCal;
You must remember that the comercial ammo most of the folks here are talking about is comercial Garand specific ammo. Not the comercial 30-06 springfield hunting ammo.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstbkt69 View Post
SaCCal;
You must remember that the comercial ammo most of the folks here are talking about is comercial Garand specific ammo. Not the comercial 30-06 springfield hunting ammo.
I've read lots of forums with guys using commercial off of the shelf 30-06 ammo. I've loaded my own garand ammo for years because I saved the 3/86 American Rifleman article Reloading For The M1 Rifle my match load was hornaday fmjbt 150gr bullet with imr 4895.The mil surplus brass was Denver 1942 & 1943.I followed the advice of WW2 vet members of our gun club to always use IMR4895 I made a hunting load using Nosler 165gr Ballistic Tip with of IMR 4895 practiced with it and had 2.5" groups which are accurate enough for hunting.I shot a Colorado mule buck in the neck at approx 300 yards , my front sight which was changed to a Dean Alley Hooded Globe with inserts; after he passed Brownells started carrying the sight part # 034-200-001.

Last edited by scr83jp; 12-08-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
I started in with an RCBS Jr single stage reloader,bought a 505 scale ,RCBS dies in 38 spec & 30-06 & case lube pad, then added an OHAUS DUO 7200 powder measure.You can find lots of reloading equipment on ebay,for bullets I used Hornaday 150gr fmjbt but now that Nosler has their own auction site where they auction 155gr & 168gr hollow point bt match 30 cal blem bullets occasionally it's an excellent source for bullets.Get a reloading guide such as Lyman,I also have Nosler ,Speer,Hornaday,Lee,NRA,Sierra,Load data,etc..I've been reloading since 1970:30-06,243,38spec,357mag,32-20,45-70,454casull,sw460mag,300wm,45colt,45acp & 41mag. I had a Dillon RL450 I upgraded to a Dillon RL550B.