Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2019, 06:53 PM

Default Surprised with auction merchandise

So maybe I had unrealistic expectations. Or maybe I'm hard to impress. Or maybe I'm just plain dumb (ask around)...

But I haven't seen what I thought I was going to see on the auction block so far. Don't get me wrong, there have been some cool pistols come through but I have been just as impressed with some of the gems that got out to the lottery winners.

Am I missing something? But it seems like after a USS or Ithica has been converted and rebuilt it isn't much more desirable than any other manufacturer of the same condition. I get the rarity angle but fillet mignon is just hamburger after its been through the grinder.

I'm thinking CMP saved the NM and good names for auction and quietly slipped the real good stuff out to us in the lottery. I also believe in Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:28 PM

I got a US&S pistol upper and lower. The same sort of mix master going for $3k on auction. They gave a few nice ones out via the lottery system.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:30 PM

I don’t disagree with what you’re saying. I think CMP could put everything they have on auction and make a hefty return. They just weigh moving items and generating revenue quickly vs putting on auction and getting a better return. They grab things that have scarcity and off to auction. Plus they have a semi-trained workforce that handles the bulk of inventory, so you’re relying on them to segregate! IMO
Old 09-16-2019, 08:35 PM

For this 80 year old to receive a 1914 five digit Colt is just unbelievable. What history all these weapons have witnessed? Thank you VETERANS.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:58 PM

Early this year the CMP let slide a few gems that should have went to auction IMHO. A few were sold with a super rare inspector mark that funneled out also. There were also a few here who received original finish with proper slide/frame matching parts pistols also.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:08 AM

All they can sell is what they have. Nobody is making any more of these.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:00 PM

I think my Anniston rebuilt Remington Rand manufactured in late 1943 and rebuilt in June of 1976 is as nice as anything I have seen on the auction. It might not be as rare as the auction pistols but its a beauty and shoots fine. Thank you CMP for making these available to us. P.S. I have bid on several guns on the CMP Auction but apparently I don't have deep enough pockets to win anything. I am just grateful that the CMP ran the lottery like they did.