Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2019, 06:02 PM

Default I stopped using my CMP/Badger Ordnance Barrel RegistrationTool

Some days ago, I checked barrel registration on a barreled receiver that I have. As usual, I checked it with the complete CMP/Badger Ordnance Tool, and my Torpedo Level on the front sight platform, and at the rear, usung my surface ground "Gus Fisher Block" on the rear sight table, and that same level on it. I noticed that the two methods did not agree with each other. I found by comparing the level reading on my ground block and the CMP/Badger Ordnance rear tool, that those are in agreement with each other. The same is not true of the reading done with the front tool and the reading taken by my level placed right on the front sight base. I then took my front tool to my Granite Block where I have a dial test indicator with .0001 graduations setup in an indicator holder. I flipped the tool upside down, then swept the flat surface from side to side with the indicator. I found that this did not agree with the top gaging surface of the tool. I found an error about .0004 to .0005" from one side to the other in that short, approxomately 1" wide flat.
Springfield Armory 5,940,259, 5,840,184, 4,238,435 and 2,023,912.
Harrington & Richardson 5,549,399.

M1s and M14s do not have Gas Tubes.

"REPO" M1 Parts: The parts you buy that they come to take back later on.
Old 10-20-2019, 10:47 AM

When was the dial indicator last calibrated, and what type is it, drop down or run out? Is the surface plate clean, and is it really flat? They can be 'out of cal' too.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:14 PM

Hi
Never thought much of the level bubble methods. Having checked many gas cyls, it was found that the sight/dovetal flat were almost never in time with barrel spline in id. That said, I line mine up using a pin thru rear sight holes and an indicator set to zero when barrel top spline is perpendicular to pin thru sight bores. Takes longer and requires special tools but is accurate
Old 10-22-2019, 01:29 PM

When installing Garand barrels I use the military SOP and check the index with a surface plate and the proper gage B45949. The receiver is laid flat on the surface plate, bottom front part of receiver and the gage aligned to the top gas cylinder spline of the barrel. If it doesn't rock it OK.

The M14 index is also checked on a surface plate, but it has a cradle to support the barrel receiver. A dial indicator is used to measure across a gage 7799749 which is two inches wide. The gage is attached the same as on the Garand barrel. An allowance of .012" +/- is acceptable for standard barrels. National Match barrels are only allowed .003". An older standard allowed .0045". These gages are rare in most collections.

I knew a retired armorer who used his wife's glass top dinning room table for a surface plate to gage M1 barreled receivers. He was braver than I am.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjungle56 View Post
Hi
Never thought much of the level bubble methods. Having checked many gas cyls, it was found that the sight/dovetal flat were almost never in time with barrel spline in id. That said, I line mine up using a pin thru rear sight holes and an indicator set to zero when barrel top spline is perpendicular to pin thru sight bores. Takes longer and requires special tools but is accurate
I would like to use that method, but I do not have the front end setup for that. Do you have a picture of it? All I have right now is the "level rear sight table to front sight platform on Gas Cylinder or Flash Hider method". It is working well enough to 1000 yards, but I want to strive for better results.
Springfield Armory 5,940,259, 5,840,184, 4,238,435 and 2,023,912.
Harrington & Richardson 5,549,399.

M1s and M14s do not have Gas Tubes.

"REPO" M1 Parts: The parts you buy that they come to take back later on.