Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2010, 12:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to deputy85

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimit View Post
What does the color have to do with it? You can tell by the side view of the lockbar that it is not a repro. I agree the rifle is overpriced, but some people see REPRO in everything. Calling something repro when it is not, does a disservice to both the buyer and the seller. I have seen buyers pass up very good bargains because they were misinformed that something was a repro, and have seen sellers fail to sell something original because of the same misinformation.
lol calm down if my opinion which you consider wrong is the worst thing that happened to you today then you had a good day,,,
Old 11-04-2010, 12:48 PM

Prince, I was referring to the exterior finish. I am a "Safe Queen" kind of guy and if I received that rifle, I would either dump it or send it to Springfield for a repark.

There are basically two types of gun owners: Those that protect the rifle with their arm and those who use the rifle to clear brush. I epitomize the former. I wouldn't even take one of my rifles out on a rainy day!
Old 11-04-2010, 12:50 PM

P.S. What is "LC M2" ? You got me there just when I thought I knew everything!
Old 11-04-2010, 12:53 PM

P.P.S. I consider myself a journeyman Garand guy but I think I must have a lot to learn. When you see a master like Scott Duff drooling over rifles from some guy named "Mac" and they all look like rack grades, I must be missing something!
Old 11-04-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrmann View Post
P.S. What is "LC M2" ? You got me there just when I thought I knew everything!
LOL,I was reffering to Lake City Made..seems to be the "Standard"if You are going to use M2 ball.HXP is slightly different if used as a "High tech gauge"
Ryan

P.S.....I like My M1's used,and I use Mine for Montana Hunting
Old 11-04-2010, 02:03 PM

Thanks! For whatever reason, I use both a muzzle gage and a round. I like the round better.

Montana, eh. We went to Yellowstone just as it opened this Spring. Awsome!
Old 11-04-2010, 02:42 PM

the price is all relative. I sold one the other day for $950. the wood looked worse but the metal and barrel were pretty good. First guy who looked at it bought it. So its all kinda subjective.Been to 3 guns shows in the last 2 months and have not seen a single one for sale. been to 8 gun shops and have not seen one for sale.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrmann View Post
P.P.S. I consider myself a journeyman Garand guy but I think I must have a lot to learn. When you see a master like Scott Duff drooling over rifles from some guy named "Mac" and they all look like rack grades, I must be missing something!
For a collector it's all about the sum of the correct, original and rare parts on the rifle and nothing to do with condition. In this case it has almost none of those characteristics. It's a FG or less mixmaster rifle being sold at too high a price.

Larry
Old 11-05-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike16 View Post
the price is all relative. I sold one the other day for $950. the wood looked worse but the metal and barrel were pretty good. First guy who looked at it bought it. So its all kinda subjective.Been to 3 guns shows in the last 2 months and have not seen a single one for sale. been to 8 gun shops and have not seen one for sale.

There's one sitting in a local shop,been there all summer.I checked the ME and TE,field grade with a WW2 receiver rest mixmaster,but I never asked how much he's usually way overpriced anyway.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:15 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike16 View Post
It's more about not knowing about CMP. You would be shocked how many people get ripped off at gunshows for sentimental reasons by shady dealers because they have no idea an organization like CMP exists where they can get a better Garand for 25-50% less than gunshow prices.

I have NEVER seen a bargain at a gunshow for a Garand or any other WWII or military weapon....never. There is always some underlying problem with them all and, unless you are dealing with a true collector like Bill Ricca or some others you never get honest answers to your questions. believe me, I've tested it many times and found it to be true. I spend more time walking away laughing and feeling disgusted at the same time.

At gunshows I look for parts in all those little bins on all those tables. Some of those guys have no idea what's in their bins and there are some real jewels to be had.

Garage sales are where the real gems can be found. I put the 1903A4 scope rings, that came on the M84 scope I got for $40 at a garage sale, and offered on the Traders Forum for $150, on eBay. They are currently selling for $320 with another day left on the auction. I'm actually shocked, happy and kind of guilty at the same time. Just goes to show some people will pay any amount for anything. Two guys on a bidding frenzy who obviously want the rings REALLY bad.

Larry