Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask CMP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2018, 11:15 PM

Default National Match Paperwork

I have a M1 that came from CMP with a National Match Barrel on it. How do I request copy of Forms DA 450-22-A, DD 149 or DD 1348 ? This would tell me if it was a true National Match rifle. Thanks
Old 11-09-2018, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retsarge View Post
I have a M1 that came from CMP with a National Match Barrel on it. How do I request copy of Forms DA 450-22-A, DD 149 or DD 1348 ? This would tell me if it was a true National Match rifle. Thanks
CMP will not have any of those forms.
JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 11-09-2018, 06:46 AM

Post the SN. There area couple guys here that can verify wether it’s a NM or not.
NRA - XTC HP Expert
16 down / 14 to go!
Old 11-09-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZvenoMan View Post
CMP will not have any of those forms.
JH
For my NM Type 2 rifle that was sold in 1963 they provided a copy of FORM 1172 with the purchaser information redacted.

Last edited by ODCMP; 11-09-2018 at 07:53 AM.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
The CMP does have sales records from the original National Match sales. If your rifle is in the records, they will provide a letter confirming when it was sold and a copy of Form 1172, Rifle Sales Record, with the name of the original purchaser removed.

If you rifle came from the CMP in the last few years then it is likely one of the Greek returns and would not have an original sales record, because it was not sold previously.

Dave

Last edited by ODCMP; 11-09-2018 at 08:06 AM.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:25 PM

OK, here is the serial number:SA 5442890 the markings on the barrel are SA F6535448 11 54 A216B and has 3 P proof stamps with a Defense Eagle Acceptance Stamp...and on the left side NM 1/2 way between front sight and the hand guard. If anyone can verify if this rifle is a National Match, I would be grateful.. Also would there be records with the Director, Rock Island Arsenal as listed in Joe Poyer's book?
Old 11-09-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODCMP View Post
For my NM Type 2 rifle that was sold in 1963 they provided a copy of FORM 1172 with the purchaser information redacted.
I agree

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 11-09-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
OK, here is the serial number:SA 5442890 the markings on the barrel are SA F6535448 11 54 A216B and has 3 P proof stamps with a Defense Eagle Acceptance Stamp...and on the left side NM 1/2 way between front sight and the hand guard. If anyone can verify if this rifle is a National Match, I would be grateful.. Also would there be records with the Director, Rock Island Arsenal as listed in Joe Poyer's book?
Not a DCM sales NM, rifle exited CMP in 2012. A NM barrel alone does not make it a NM rifle.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:34 PM

So since this rifle went to Greece, came back, and then was sole by CMP. Who put the NM barrel on it? was it possibly put on by SA and then shipped to greece under the MAP program. Did the Greeks have NM barrels to put on their rifles? If they did not put the NM barrel on it I don't think they used it very much. The CMP rifle tag says: Muzzle 1+, Throat 2 and is dated 8-9-12. Even though it may not have been issued out as a NM rifle..I think that it isl a lot better than a regular issued rifle. not too many NM barrels out there
Old 11-11-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
So since this rifle went to Greece, came back, and then was sole by CMP. Who put the NM barrel on it? was it possibly put on by SA and then shipped to greece under the MAP program. Did the Greeks have NM barrels to put on their rifles? If they did not put the NM barrel on it I don't think they used it very much. The CMP rifle tag says: Muzzle 1+, Throat 2 and is dated 8-9-12. Even though it may not have been issued out as a NM rifle..I think that it isl a lot better than a regular issued rifle. not too many NM barrels out there
There were quite a few rifles released by the CMP in that time period that came with NM barrels. There were a lot with the release of "6 million" rifles. You can read a few of the old posts to get a flavor of the thoughts on them. Here are a couple:

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=89154

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=89388

The 6 million rifles came with mostly new CMP walnut stocks, so they were obviously not original. Other parts were mixed. One of mine had an NM op rod but no other NM parts. The CMP sold some in the stores as "NM rifles", but the ones I looked at were not complete for various reasons.

I understand that the Greeks received some NM rifles as part of the assistance, but reports were that many of them appeared to have been used as standard service rifles.

So there is really no way to know who put the NM barrel on your rifle. The two that I disassembled and looked at closely appeared that they could have been original barreled receivers, but there is no way to know for sure.

Dave

Last edited by ODCMP; 11-11-2018 at 07:03 PM.