Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask CMP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2018, 11:04 AM

Default Is a re-activated M1903A3 Drill GSM legal?

Hi
I can't find anything in a rule book concerning this, when I ask around, all I get is hearsay.

Back story-I bought a M1903A3 Drill rifle, and a Criterion barrel for it, from the CMP North store a couple years ago. I had a local Gunsmith ( a real one, with a brick and mortar storefront) install the barrel.

I then purchased a Bolt body, striker, and a couple replacement parts I needed. I have put about 200 rounds through this rifle, and it is very accurate if I do my part.

Question: Can I compete with this (re-activated Drill ) Rifle in a CMP Garand/Springfield/Modern Military Match?

Of note: The Gibbs Rifle Company made some reproduction M1903A4 Sniper Rifles built on re-activated Drill Rifle receivers that are being used in Sniper Matches currently. I have read that the DCM/CMP has given some of these out as prizes in the past.

Thank you.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He knew war,and was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/
Old 05-10-2018, 03:48 PM

Exclamation

Seen as how know body has answered, CMP or others,
I've been through many an inspection line with my Gibbs 1903A4 forgery and it's never been an issue for the vintage sniper match. Then again,never won the match either
I'm sure the CMP frowns upon any demilled rifles being used at there sanctioned events. Maybe we'll get an answer??
Just my 2 cents
Old 05-15-2018, 01:56 PM
CMP Chief Operating Officer

If the reworked receiver has been certified by the builder as safe, ok. If not, and CMP staff recognizes the receiver as a re-weld we will not allow.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:07 AM

Thank you Mr. Johnson.
I look forward to competing with my re-activated rifle.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He knew war,and was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/
Old 05-16-2018, 09:00 AM

"certified by the builder as safe" ..........lot of thought went into this?? Good Shooting. ...
Old 05-16-2018, 09:05 AM

Send a message via AIM to milprileb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post
If the reworked receiver has been certified by the builder as safe, ok. If not, and CMP staff recognizes the receiver as a re-weld we will not allow.
I don't know how CMP could have said anything differently. There is a potential safety risk. I have no issue with this answer whatsoever. Granted it's not what many here want to hear.

Last edited by milprileb; 05-16-2018 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:16 AM
CMP Chief Operating Officer

Short of breaking down every rifle and having metallurgical testing done on each receiver. How would an armorer checking the trigger weight know if the rifle is a re-weld? If my armorer's see an obvious re-weld and a certificate can't be provided by a licensed manufacture proclaiming the rifle safe to fire, it will not be allowed. How much thought do you want? Consider the bear poked...
Old 10-21-2018, 01:22 PM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post
Short of breaking down every rifle and having metallurgical testing done on each receiver. How would an armorer checking the trigger weight know if the rifle is a re-weld? If my armorer's see an obvious re-weld and a certificate can't be provided by a licensed manufacture proclaiming the rifle safe to fire, it will not be allowed. How much thought do you want? Consider the bear poked...
Seriously? This is not any better than tickling the bear. Let's get a definitive answer as to whether a commercially produced reproduction 1903A4 rifles will or will not be allowed to compete in vintage sniper matches or risk bring DQ'd. BTW, these are not "rewelds". In fact, there's no such animal as a "re" weld since even welded Garand recievers never had an initial weld.

A great number of current and past sniper match competitors have used these commercially produced A4's and they are ALL assembled using recovered drill rifle receivers. ALL of them. They are also quite expensive. CMP needs and should be very, very clear about the eligibility of these rifles and not leave owners guessing after traveling hundreds or even thousands of miles relying on the "whim" of an over aggressive inspector.

Your answer is vague and essentially a non-answer to an honest question about something not addressed in the rules.

The question: Are commercially produced, reproduction, replica 1903A4 rifles made by a reputable manufacturer allowed in vintage sniper competition? A simple yes or no answer would suffice or there will be some very angry bears to poke in Games inspection lines when the probable obvious inconsistencies show their ugly faces.
Old 10-21-2018, 05:22 PM

Lapriester:
Why are you being so difficult?
Apparently for 5 months now...... Mr Johnsons answer was enough.....
But now you are demanding some answer?????
To a question Mr Johnson already answered......??????

Mr Johnson answered the question.
But threatening him I’m sure will get another answer........more to your liking.
Old 10-21-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post
Lapriester:
Why are you being so difficult?
Apparently for 5 months now...... Mr Johnsons answer was enough.....
But now you are demanding some answer?????
To a question Mr Johnson already answered......??????

Mr Johnson answered the question.
But threatening him Iím sure will get another answer........more to your liking.
Follow/read this thread http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=232499&page=4 then youíll see why Larry posted what he did.