Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask CMP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 10-21-2018, 06:59 PM
Headspace Headspace is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 366
Default

So company's like Gibbs, JRA and Rock Ridge are selling certified "re- worked" &
"safe" rifles. So I would interpret that as good to go...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-21-2018, 07:13 PM
migunshooter migunshooter is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Michigan
Posts: 20
Default

was selling, I was looking into getting one and it looks as this is no longer an option, I see the CMP has removed the creedmoor option also.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-21-2018, 07:36 PM
Gewehr43 Gewehr43 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 2,236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwcritch View Post
Follow/read this thread http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=232499&page=4 then you’ll see why Larry posted what he did.
Ok that explains some of the back story...........

Do you know does Larry even shoot in Sniper matches?

So if I have a Gibbs rifle..... get a letter from them saying it’s safe or better yet suggest they post it on their website for download and be done with this?
__________________
Service Rifle.... RIP .... 1884-2015

Last edited by Gewehr43; 10-21-2018 at 07:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-21-2018, 07:41 PM
Bwcritch Bwcritch is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Mobile, Al
Posts: 1,926
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post
Ok that explains some of the back story...........

Do you know does Larry even shoot in Sniper matches?

So if I have a Gibbs rifle..... get a letter from them saying it’s safe or better yet suggest they post it on their website for download and be done with this?
Not sure if he currently shoots those matches, but his question seems legit regardless.

Posting it on the website would have to include each s/n they touched, otherwise everyone could just claim the rifle was a Gibbs.

CMP should simply leave it at the discretion of the inspector, however the inspector can only disqualify a rifle if they can articulate what isn’t safe, and should maybe have a second inspector if a rifle is disqualified. I have seen drill Rolfes that look better than non-drill rifles, so either way it’s a can of worms if we start down this path.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-21-2018, 09:13 PM
OKC_Jim OKC_Jim is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: OKC, Oklahoma
Posts: 1,050
Default

I know it isn't the CMP saying so, but when Creedmoor sold them Dennis DeMille said they were legal for vintage sniper (03A4) and games (03A3) matches. Hopefully he was correct.

http://web.archive.org/web/201512281...k-Ridge-Rifles
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-21-2018, 09:52 PM
Gewehr43 Gewehr43 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 2,236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwcritch View Post
Not sure if he currently shoots those matches, but his question seems legit regardless.

Posting it on the website would have to include each s/n they touched, otherwise everyone could just claim the rifle was a Gibbs.

CMP should simply leave it at the discretion of the inspector, however the inspector can only disqualify a rifle if they can articulate what isn’t safe, and should maybe have a second inspector if a rifle is disqualified. I have seen drill Rolfes that look better than non-drill rifles, so either way it’s a can of worms if we start down this path.
But isn’t “leaving this to the discretion of the inspector” part of the issue?
In that other thread, it was claimed a rifle failed inspection and maybe it was due to the “rewelded” receiver?

But regardless Mr Johnson responds here and what I GOT out of this is was: they don’t want to start a detailed meticulous inspection of rifles. So unless it’s obvious, they aren’t going to challenge the issue. If they do need to, have a letter from someone saying the rifle is safe......done........ Am I missing something?
__________________
Service Rifle.... RIP .... 1884-2015

Last edited by Gewehr43; 10-21-2018 at 09:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-21-2018, 09:57 PM
Bwcritch Bwcritch is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Mobile, Al
Posts: 1,926
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post
But isn’t “leaving this to the discretion of the inspector” part of the issue?
In that other thread, it was claimed a rifle failed inspection and maybe it was due to the “rewelded” receiver?
So Mr Johnson responds here and what I GOT out of this is was: they don’t want to start a detailed meticulous inspection of rifles. So unless it’s obvious, they aren’t going to challenge the issue. If they do need to, have a letter from someone saying the rifle is safe......done........ Am I missing something?
Not exactly. Currently it is said that if its identified by the inspector to be welded then its disqualifying, period, no questions asked. I am saying that the inspector has to say why it isn't safe (not an opinion, but articulable facts), and then a second inspector has to do the same in order to disqualify a rifle. Having the paper is ridiculous because it wasn't to long ago that a person posted their M1 that they received from the CMP had the heel blown off. At the end of the day if someone is willing to get behind the rifle and pull the trigger let them.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-22-2018, 06:51 PM
ZvenoMan ZvenoMan is offline
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: AL
Posts: 3,488
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwcritch View Post
Not exactly. Currently it is said that if its identified by the inspector to be welded then its disqualifying, period, no questions asked. I am saying that the inspector has to say why it isn't safe (not an opinion, but articulable facts), and then a second inspector has to do the same in order to disqualify a rifle. Having the paper is ridiculous because it wasn't to long ago that a person posted their M1 that they received from the CMP had the heel blown off. At the end of the day if someone is willing to get behind the rifle and pull the trigger let them.
That's not what Mr. Johnson said. He discussed "re-welded" and if they ask a question and received a certification form the builder then they will allow it. No questions asked is not an accurate description of his comment.
Drill rifles are not re-welds.
Most importantly, NO ONE has posted a link to anyone disqualified due to the receiver being a recovered drill rifle. My brother's ex wife's friend hear it is not close to useful information.

If the bear continues getting poked those of us with non-re-welded drill rifles who are currently not concerned about competing with them may take offense.

I'll say it again, other than useless "do a search" comments, has anyone been denied competing due to drill rifle status ONLY? Trigger too light, some other item doesn't count.
JH
__________________
Zvenoman

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-22-2018, 09:31 PM
Bwcritch Bwcritch is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Mobile, Al
Posts: 1,926
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZvenoMan View Post
That's not what Mr. Johnson said. He discussed "re-welded" and if they ask a question and received a certification form the builder then they will allow it. No questions asked is not an accurate description of his comment.
Drill rifles are not re-welds.
Most importantly, NO ONE has posted a link to anyone disqualified due to the receiver being a recovered drill rifle. My brother's ex wife's friend hear it is not close to useful information.

If the bear continues getting poked those of us with non-re-welded drill rifles who are currently not concerned about competing with them may take offense.

I'll say it again, other than useless "do a search" comments, has anyone been denied competing due to drill rifle status ONLY? Trigger too light, some other item doesn't count.
JH
To many errors to point out in your post. Read all this thread, then read all the thread that I posted in post #10 of this thread. Put it all together and there you go. I understand it gets confusing because there are two threads, and a huge timeline, but to really get a gist of one you have to read the other, not sure what else to say.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:28 AM.