Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2017, 02:29 PM

Default Sa3283944

Hello everyone! First post to the forum! Just want everyone's opinion on a idea I have had. I got my first M1 from the CMP back in 2015. It is a SG May 1942 Springfield that is a mint condition October 1965 LEAD rebuild with the exception of a little chunk taken out of the top handguard. My second acquisition is a November 1941 SA that I bought from a gentleman off gunbroker. It had a slight tack weld to the bottom of the barrel but that is now off, I have refinished her got a new barrel and new CMP wood set that I am currently applying Tru Oil to and am about to wrap up that resurrection in another month or so. Also, she was in the pacific theater during the war and was rebuilt at OBS 3 in Australia so its kinda special for me because of that. Lastly, I got a FG for Christmas and received SA 3283944. Turned out being a very nice rifle, but here comes the question I have for everyone. She is about 85% original as all of the internals match up, the trigger group is right, and the only things that dont match up are the bolt, wood, and barrel (although the barrel is a 12 44). Should I hang on to it, or sell it now for a profit and hope a fresh batch of SG from somewhere comes in within the next few years? Really hate to part with it, but just want to get some opinions. Thanks!
Old 02-17-2017, 02:38 PM

I would not sell it just yet. There are no guarantees that anything is coming from anywhere. Ever. It is also unlikely that you would get a service grade that is any more correct than what you have already
Old 02-17-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA1941 View Post
... the only things that dont match up are the bolt, wood, and barrel!
The wood and the barrel are the keys to any restoration. Not having one, much less both, and since you specifically mentioned profit, means that as it sits, the rifle is a losing proposition for restoration.

As Sean mentioned; no one knows what, if anything, the future holds, so if I were you, I would not be in a rush to sell anything I didn't have to.

Last edited by MTC29; 02-17-2017 at 03:10 PM.