Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2016, 01:37 PM

Default Left handers and the M1A1 Carbine

Well guys finally got to the range to shoot my M1A1 Paratrooper. Put up a target at the berm (60 yds) and took a single shot to see how she would perform. Was holding low with 100 yd peep expecting a hit higher on the target. Bullet hit right where I was aiming. Next 5 went a bit right, the 5 after that a bit left. My eye is not as sharp as it once was but I was still very happy with the accuracy. I fired about 100 rounds. Only problem I had was with 70's repro 30 rnd magazines.

My question relates to being a lefty. There is no leather on the lefty side (right side) of the cheek rest. The metal rod allows a half fast cheek weld but today I can feel the effects. Sort of like a punch in the face but they only grazed. Some of you guys know what that feels like right?

I am thinking a piece of split foam tube insulation would do the trick in a pinch but has anyone got a better solution?

Last edited by HDSledge; 08-18-2016 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:03 PM

Being a lefty I feel your pain. I think a piece of foam taped in place would do the trick. You could also wrap the foam with the stuff used to wrap horse ankles. It's kinda sticky self holding foamy stuff. Will not leave any adhesive residue. I use it to wrap my bolt rifle for coyote hunting in the winter. Comes in several color around $2 per roll.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDSledge View Post
Well guys finally got to the range to shoot my M1A1 Paratrooper. Put up a target at the berm (60 yds) and took a single shot to see how she would perform. Was holding low with 100 yd peep expecting a hit higher on the target. Bullet hit right where I was aiming. Next 5 went a bit right, the 5 after that a bit left. My eye is not as sharp as it once was but I was still very happy with the accuracy. I fired about 100 rounds. Only problem I had was with 70's repro 30 rnd magazines.

My question relates to being a lefty. There is no leather on the lefty side (right side) of the cheek rest. The metal rod allows a half fast cheek weld but today I can feel the effects. Sort of like a punch in the face but they only grazed. Some of you guys know what that feels like right?

I am thinking a piece of split foam tube insulation would do the trick in a pinch but has anyone got a better solution?
I'm lefty and don't have that problem. The good news is your not wearing out that expensive cheek pad. I suppose you could take a soft towel and wrap it around the buttstock. Good luck!
Old 08-19-2016, 08:55 AM

there are nice leather/laced butt stock covers available now for folks shooting cowboy action competitions. I'll bet that the makers (most seem to be small custom outfits) should be able to come up with something that not only covers that bare wire side -but also looks attractive enough that it contributes to the overall appearance of that para model...

Since I live down here in south Florida and have been doing a bit of outdoor range time in the terrible heat and humidity down here with my carbine.... I've been looking around for something for my own commercial carbine (a Plainfield) that will absorb the sweat that builds up between that nice varnished stock and my dripping face.... but that's another story... right now all I have is a cotton wash cloth to keep things comfortable...
Old 08-19-2016, 12:05 PM

Default Going to MacGyver something like this...

I'm used to a firm cheek weld so I was probably hugging it too tight. But now that I have an accessory in mind might as well make one.

Took apart an old IWB holster and glued a strong disc magnet to the inside. Holds the pad on very well. It's a good start but not tailored enough for me. I'll definitely refine the design so it looks like it was made for the stock.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:31 PM

-looks like genius at work to me....
Old 08-19-2016, 05:30 PM

Looks like a great solution!! I'm a lefty too...do you find that the stock wants to collapse when you hold tightly during recoil?

Last edited by T38Carbine; 08-19-2016 at 06:54 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T38Carbine View Post
Looks like a great solution!! I'm a lefty too...do you find that the stock wants to collapse when you hold tightly during recoil?
Once I had too much side pressure on it and it started to fold over a bit. I adjusted my hold and it didn't happen again.

I have a piece of thick leather coming to play with. When I get something made that is worth showing I'll post a couple pics.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemaymiami View Post
-looks like genius at work to me....
Thanks! Now please tell my wife. She doesn't believe it and I've been trying to tell her that for 25 years.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:38 PM
Banned

"...that nice varnished stock..." Shouldn't be bothered by your sweaty face if the correct varnish was used. Tung oiled my Plainfield 30 some years ago. No issues.
"...a punch in the face..." Sounds like you're holding it too loosely. I've shot all kinds of stuff(SMG's and other military stuff) left handed with no fuss for eons.
Leather like that is kind of abrasive. Soft leather(deer, elk, etc) would work.