Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2019, 01:42 PM

Default Modifying Your 1911

Title may be a little misleading but here goes, even though these pistols have been cleaned up re-parked and checked out before being put to sleep is it prudent to change springs? Every 1911 I have bought to date I have changed the springs as a mater of recourse. I have not found a definitive answer here so...opinions please.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:12 PM

This is not popular, and many will think you are crazy for even thinking about shooting a CMP 1911. That said, I got mine fully intending on shooting it and getting proficient. But, I wanted to take precautions to reduce wear and stress on my 100+ year old pistol. My goal is to replace much of the wear items to preserve then in case I want to get this back to the way it came to me from the CMP. I replaced my recoil spring, firing pin, firing pin sping, magazine catch, slide stop, extractor, and working on a NOS chrome lined GI replacement barrel, barrel link, and GI barrel bushing. I also installed a Wilson Combat Shok-Buff (also very controversial by the way) for extra insurance. All original parts packed safely away for the future.

Buy high quality parts and expect to modify/tweak to fit your pistol. Do your research and you will find all you need for this.

Mine shoots great and I cannot wait to see if my groupings get more compact with the new barrel and bushing.

Good luck and happy shooting!
Old 11-08-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan13 View Post
This is not popular, and many will think you are crazy for even thinking about shooting a CMP 1911. That said, I got mine fully intending on shooting it and getting proficient. But, I wanted to take precautions to reduce wear and stress on my 100+ year old pistol. My goal is to replace much of the wear items to preserve then in case I want to get this back to the way it came to me from the CMP. I replaced my recoil spring, firing pin, firing pin sping, magazine catch, slide stop, extractor, and working on a NOS chrome lined GI replacement barrel, barrel link, and GI barrel bushing. I also installed a Wilson Combat Shok-Buff (also very controversial by the way) for extra insurance. All original parts packed safely away for the future.

Buy high quality parts and expect to modify/tweak to fit your pistol. Do your research and you will find all you need for this.

Mine shoots great and I cannot wait to see if my groupings get more compact with the new barrel and bushing.

Good luck and happy shooting!
Replaced the recoil spring right off, it was a bit short and picking up a round wasn't always good. I shot it shortly after getting it at the D-Day as-issued 1911 match. Funny thing, I was the ONLY guy on the line actually shooting a govt 1911/A1 (straight outta the box), everybody else had a commercial variant that I saw. I still took 2nd place to a guy with a match gun, with a bronze level score, in my first ever bullseye pistol match.

I'll be shooting it again at Talladega 600 in a couple weeks.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:41 PM

I have an older DCM Ithaca gun overhauled at Red River Arsenal that I replaced the extractor, firing pin, and spring on.When I sell it the original parts will go with it.

Last edited by lucky52; 11-09-2019 at 09:01 AM.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:00 PM

Since my frame was one of the last Ithacas made in 44 or 45 and it has a replacement slide I plan on shooting my pistol. Shoot and not abuse and any parts removed will be bagged so I can return it as delivered state. Not even going to try and "correct" it. I did that with my garand. Yes it more accurately matches when it left the Springfield armory but I think I took away some of its story. Dont want to do that again.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:40 PM

My recoil spring on the 1911 I got from CMP was short. Replaced it with a Wolff.