Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2009, 06:37 AM

Default 2009 Year in Review

In Jan of 2009 I decided that Rifle Matches sounded like alot of fun and maybe I should give it a try...Boy I was not ready for the life changing ride I was about to take. Figuring my local sportsmen's club would be a logical place to start I contacted the Northland Sportsmen's Club not knowing how lucky I was to have one of the most active Garand Shooting organizations in Michigan right in my back yard. The amount of help that came pouring out from the members ( Ronintank, Dutch, "The Good Doctor", Walter, and others ) was amazing. Well it was off to the CMP store for the first of three trips for the year. What a first trip it was! I slept in the parking lot of the North Store and was first in when they opened! The great guys behind the counter helped so much in making that first ever Garand and Carbine and US 44 and and and purchase . Well a few thousand $$$ later it was back to Gaylord. A trip to the range told me what I already knew. Although I had hunted my whole life, I was not a rifleman. So the process of gathering info and practice time began. Once again my Brothers at the Northland Sportsmen's Club patiently answered all of my questions, lent equipment, helped me work on my rifles ect. A month before I was scheduled to shoot my first match I figured I had better find one to watch first. Thanks to this forum I found a match in the town of Linden. Upon arrival I was greeted by a Super nice guy, later to be known to me as "RifleGuy" I told him I was there to observe and not shoot. He offered up a cup of coffee and a free T-shirt and answered another million questions with great enthusiasm. I wondered over to the range and picked out a couple Gents to watch who looked like they knew what they were doing. One by the name of Matt H, who I later found out is a Distinguished Master, and another who became known to me as "Old Doggy". I couldn't have found a better pair to watch. Matt was shooting an 03 that truly looked like it had been used to pound in fence posts. He was shooting the match and mentoring a first time shooter all the while casually shooting a 280 something and winning the match! Old Doggy let me look through his spotting scope and check out his range cart and check out his shooting coat ect ect. Well I left that very first match with a feeling of finding " the right group of people" and happy with my choice of new hobbies. Now 9 matches later, I have had a few good matches, alot of poor ones, and have loved every minute of it. This sport is filled with the Greatest bunch of Guys in the world. I am looking forward to 2010 for so many reasons. Improving my scores, making new friends, and seeing all of my new Brothers. Happy New Year to you all,
Gary

Northland Sportsmen's Club, 2018 President
CMP Match Chairman
NRA Highpower Rifle Chairman
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Chief Range Officer

Last edited by GarandGrabber; 12-30-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:57 AM

Shooting at a higher level is very gratifying but this sport is so much more fun when you have fun people to shoot with.
Not that long ago I showed up at a match with a new (to me) Garand and was thrilled and honored by the distinguished individuals who were willing to set their rifles down and work with me.
Whenever I have the opportunity to return that favor I do it in memory and respect of those individuals.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:03 AM

Thanks for all the help Dutch! Shoveling out the range today for the Vets match! May shoot a little just to get the preview of coming attractions

Northland Sportsmen's Club, 2018 President
CMP Match Chairman
NRA Highpower Rifle Chairman
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Chief Range Officer