Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2009, 08:55 PM

Default 1903-A3..Legal for Garand Match?

I see the 1903 is legal, but dosen't say about the A3. Also, my A3 has a milled trigger guard. Are mismatched parts (some stamped, some milled) a problem for the Garand Match?

Thanks
Old 12-19-2009, 09:00 PM

I shoot my 03A3 in Garand Matches all the time.

CMP Rules http://www.odcmp.com/Competitions/Rulebook.pdf
Page 52 and 53 course of fire for Garand Match tables, it says that if a bolt gun is on the line, the rapid fire time is increased by 10 seconds or 70 rather than 60 for sitting RF and 80 rather than 70 for prone RF. The guys with the Garands will appreciate the extra time.

In big matches like at Perry or even matches where local clubs give out medals, I take the M1 to Garand matches and the 03A3 to pringfield matches.

Last edited by X Hunter; 12-19-2009 at 09:28 PM. Reason: added aditional info
Old 12-19-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by win308 View Post
I see the 1903 is legal, but dosen't say about the A3. Also, my A3 has a milled trigger guard. Are mismatched parts (some stamped, some milled) a problem for the Garand Match?

Thanks
No problems -
Old 12-20-2009, 02:29 AM

This is confusing--but: You cannot fire a 1903 (includesA3s) in a "Garand match" either national or club. A club may conduct a "as issued military rifle match" where M1s 1903s and vintage are all fired. See page 7. I suspect CMP breaks the scores into the three categories when they compile and post results. The reason for the 70-80 second footnote in the course (A&B) section is because the "John C. Garand MATCH COURSE" is used with modifications for all their "Games" including 1903 and Vintage. I think this is unnecessarily complicated and CMP would do themselves and us a great service to just use 80 seconds for everything-- allowing a mixed line and combination of ALL three games matches and eliminating the separate matches--at least for club level. Anyroad, that's how I read the rules. Good Shooting..........
Old 12-21-2009, 09:48 PM

So...I'm watching Shooting USA the other night, and the show is devoted to the Garand Match at Perry. One of the shooters highlighted....is shooting a Nr. 4 Lee Enfield...... in 303 British....at Perry!!!! A junior (lady) is shooting an M-1 Carbine because the Garand is too heavy.

Did I just dream this???
Old 12-22-2009, 07:15 AM

My understanding was this: It may be difficult for local clubs to fill the firing line with all Garands, Springfields or Vintage so it is allowed that one could shoot an as issued rifle other than a Garand in a Garand match. That is the reason bolt guns on the line and time allotted is modified. It also my understanding that if one brought a Vintage rifle to a Garand match that person would be awarded medal based on the Garand match cut scores because it is a Garand match not a Vintage match.

I could be all goofed up on this; it is just what I have experienced when traveling to clubs to shoot. I guess it is like my use of targets post and the overwhelming response was “Match Director Discretion”.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:55 PM

At LSC we hold our matches as GSM events. We strive to have as many shooters as possable shooting any of the "CMP" rifles that they wish to use on a given day with everyone ejoying themselves. Some shooters may fire 2 or 3 rifles in a day. Most of the time our line is mixed and we use 80 seconds for the rapids. Competors scores are classified by their rifle and appropriate cuts are used for each rifle catigory. If you bring an AR or M1A you'll still be able to shoot, just not for an award. We want people on line enjoying their sport and will accommodate everyone we can within our guidelines.

rifle guy @ LSC
Old 12-23-2009, 08:14 AM

I see (and hear of) a lot of things at matches that are not consistent with the CMP rule book. I feel that sanctioning the match obligates the sponsor the follow the rules. Of course anyone can shoot "not for record" and this does not violate CMP guidelines. End of story for me. Good Shooting.........
Old 12-23-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifle guy View Post
At LSC we hold our matches as GSM events. We strive to have as many shooters as possable shooting any of the "CMP" rifles that they wish to use on a given day with everyone ejoying themselves. Some shooters may fire 2 or 3 rifles in a day. Most of the time our line is mixed and we use 80 seconds for the rapids. Competors scores are classified by their rifle and appropriate cuts are used for each rifle catigory. If you bring an AR or M1A you'll still be able to shoot, just not for an award. We want people on line enjoying their sport and will accommodate everyone we can within our guidelines.

rifle guy @ LSC
The two local clubs in my area, run catagories just as Rifle Guy mentioned. Each rifle "type" competes against their "type" and then we do have a separate overall winner catagory.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:51 AM

Bottom line is ... read the match bulletin! It will tell you what you can or cannot shoot at that particular match.

"It's REAL ... it's wood and steel!"