Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2018, 11:53 AM

Default Fitting a new holster to my pistol

What is the best way to fit my pistol to a new holster that is a bit to tight?
Old 08-18-2018, 07:06 PM

Placing the pistol in a plastic sandwich bag and inserting in holster works fairly well.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:38 AM

What kind of holster?
Old 08-19-2018, 12:18 PM

I have shrunk and stretched leather holsters by wetting holsters in water. To stretch, when leather in wet, wrap pistol in a few layers of plastic and jam into holster until dry. To shrink, wet holster in warm water and let dry without any thing in holster.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:02 PM

What I do for new leather holsters is wrap the pistol in a couple layers of paper towels or a thin towel to build up its profile. Then put the mummified pistol in the ziploc bag, and jam it into the holster for the next few days.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ashooter View Post
What kind of holster?
YES, what's it made from?

Old 08-20-2018, 08:08 PM

There is a product called “Leather Lightning” made by Mitch Rosen Gunleather that works extremely well on tight, new leather holsters. Last I looked it was about $10-$12 a bottle but it’ll last you a lifetime. We used to use it for cadet classes and it worked very well. It’ll make the inside of a new leather holster slicker than snot on glass.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:52 AM

I won't repeat the crude term we used for the process, but especially with some of the leather triple-retention duty holsters which were notoriously tight when new because they depended on a precise fit for that retention:
- OF COURSE, empty, clear, verify empty, clear, look again, flashlight and pinky in the chamber just to make sure...
- Wrap the pistol in a thick plastic ziploc bag
- Vigorous holstering/unholstering (I found better to do with the holster unmounted from the belt, just holding pistol and holster in each hand). Repeat for several minutes.
- Leave bagged pistol in holster overnight
- Check in the morning and repeat process as necessary.

Many years ago, I remember using saddle soap to soften up a duty holster for my wheel gun that was too tight, but I've been told since by a holster maker I respect to be very careful about liquids and certain leathers. Talk to the manufacturer if you have a question, but in many cases you *don't* want to soften the leather at all, and some leathers don't take well to being dunked overnight.

If it's a custom-molded kydex holster, check with the manufacturer, but with some you can adjust the retention very carefully with a heat gun. If you don't have a heat gun, protect all the places you DON'T want adjusted with tape and paper towels and use a hair dryer. It doesn't take a lot of heat for a lot of time.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CounterMeasure View Post
What I do for new leather holsters is wrap the pistol in a couple layers of paper towels or a thin towel to build up its profile. Then put the mummified pistol in the ziploc bag, and jam it into the holster for the next few days.
This ... is how I have always approached such a situation. I usually prefer conservative approaches to start.

After the leather has some time to stretch a little bit, I decide if I need to give any special attention to certain areas.