X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • .303Shooter
    • Jan 2010

Shooting first match

So with registration for Camp Perry opening soon I have a quick question to ask.

Would I be getting in too deep if I were to shoot the Presidents 100 as my first "real" match? Me and my father have done the SAFS rifle class for 3 years in a row and will probably do it again this year. Seeing that the Presidents 100 is the next day it seemed like a logical step.

I just don't want to be in over my head as far as the pace of the match or how it is run. Is it similar to the SAFS class? Obviously without the coaching. I will probably shoot my M1 and my father may shoot our AR-15. Im not expecting to win anything obviously, I just thought it would be fun and a good experience.

What do you guys think? Will I be beyond my abilities?
  • X Hunter
    • Oct 2009

Shoot!

Comment

• Mike67
      • Oct 2009

Originally posted by .303Shooter View Post
      So with registration for Camp Perry opening soon I have a quick question to ask.

Would I be getting in too deep if I were to shoot the Presidents 100 as my first "real" match? Me and my father have done the SAFS rifle class for 3 years in a row and will probably do it again this year. Seeing that the Presidents 100 is the next day it seemed like a logical step.

I just don't want to be in over my head as far as the pace of the match or how it is run. Is it similar to the SAFS class? Obviously without the coaching. I will probably shoot my M1 and my father may shoot our AR-15. Im not expecting to win anything obviously, I just thought it would be fun and a good experience.

I, like you am a first year SR competitor and plan to shoot the P100 and the NTI. I will however, be shooting a couple of EIC matches before the Nationals. Although this is my first year, I am planning on being in the mix!

Comment

• SteveG
        • Oct 2009

Originally posted by .303Shooter View Post

If you have been to the SAFS three times, I'm kind of wondering what you are waiting on? Good Heavens, you know the procedure, you must have worked the pits, so go for it. The P-100 is a short match since it is only 30 rounds. I can't think of a better match to start with.
        Have fun!

Comment

• snellbaker
          • Oct 2009

The P100 is the epitome of the "don't make a mistake" match. With only 30 shots and no sighters, every shot can and will make or break you.
          That being said, it can also be a great introduction to the sport. It is 10 shots each at 200 yd offhand, 300 yd rapid prone and 600 yd slow prone. This is a little bit of everything you will see in any NRA or CMP match. As a novice, shoot the match and enjoy yourself. Talk to your relay mate (often a wealth of info) and don't let the pace intimidate you. Experience comes only from trying then learning from your mistakes. Jump right in and send some record shots down range. Then, next year, beat "your" score. Thats whats its all about. Good luck,

Art
          Once I was a very young marine, long, long ago!

Comment

• marka1187
            • Dec 2009

303, I shot the P-100 as my first XTC match last year. I didn't do very good but I had a good time and learned alot. Jump right in and go for it, I am sure you wont regret it. Good luck and good shooting.
            Mark Aussieker
            HM XTC
            Presidents 100
            Distiguished Rifleman 2233

Comment

• tombguard129
              • Jan 2010

By all means, shoot the P100. The M1 is still on the list of 'service rifles'. It would help if both of you shoot a few local matches. You will get use to the pace and line commands. Do you know your come-ups for 300 and 600? Enjoy the experience, ask questions, learn and start planning for next year.

Comment

• .303Shooter
                • Jan 2010

SteveG - The SAFS class has become kind of a tradition for us, usually we cannot stay for any other matches because of school, but this year we can finally stay.

I might be able to shoot some local matches. Hopefully at the 600 yard range. And no I don't know come ups for 300 or 600, or even 200 for that matter. But thats why I'm hoping to shoot a local match over the summer.

Thanks for the info guys. Ill probably give it a go this year. Watch out if you are on a target near mine

Thanks again

Comment

• ceresco
                  • Oct 2009

The come ups are on the elevation drum--and they are pretty close. For the no sighter matches, you really must shoot your loads at the 2,3 and 600yd targets, if at all possible, and get the info into a notebook. Good Shooting.......

Comment

• tombguard129
                    • Jan 2010

.303shooter, once you have an elevation zero for your M1 at 200yards go up 2moa for 300. Then go up 12moa more for 600. You should be on paper and can adjust from there. Good luck. Jon

Comment

Working...
                    X