Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 11:52 AM

Default any reports for today 10/10/12?

I almost took the morning off, wondering how it was.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:24 PM

Some nice Winchester and SA service grades.... No HRA service grades. I brought home a Danish (anchor sight cover) Winny in a nice post war SA stock, with many WIN parts, including a complete unmodified trigger group.... Couldn't believe it! There was a killer RAD WIN-13 that surprisingly changed hands a few times before someone finally locked it down. I didn't see any early barrels or lock bar sights. Fun day, good company.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:31 PM

Was it busy?
Old 10-10-2012, 03:40 PM

Not at first, 6-8 of us waiting in line... most were expecting 6.0 SA rifles. Two crustier guys left before doors opened, when they found that the truck with 6.0 SA rifles wouldn't arrive until next week. Aside from a couple non-social guys "on a mission," there was plenty of friendly banter and exceptional picks exchanging hands. By the time I left around 9:45-10:00, there were around 15 people, give or take, the SG racks were hit pretty hard (about 2/3 found a new home).

Last edited by pro2; 10-10-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro2 View Post
Not at first, 6-8 of us waiting in line... most were expecting 6.0 SA rifles. Two crustier guys left before doors opened, when they found that the truck with 6.0 SA rifles wouldn't arrive until next week. Aside from a couple non-social guys "on a mission," there was plenty of friendly banter and exceptional picks exchanging hands. By the time I left around 9:45-10:00, there were around 15 people, give or take, the SG racks were hit pretty hard (about 2/3 found a new home).
Hope we weren't the non-social guys. I think I handed you the WRA with the VAR barrel, was that the one you ended up with? I was the one wearing the Boston hat.

This was my first trip and thought I'd celebrate my birthday by spending it at the North Store. Wasn't really sure where to start first when we got inside, so went to the Service Grade rack like everyone else. One side maybe 2/3 full of WRA's, the other side full of SA's. A mix of GI and new wood. If you were looking for a good shooter, there was a good amount to choose from. No original WWII barrels anywhere (hoping to at least find one in the field grades that gauged high that I could turn into a project). Found one SG SA with a nice JLG stock, handed that to another gentleman who I think took it home. Buddy found a nice 4.3 with original barrel that went home. I couldn't find anything I was on a mission for that hadn't already been tagged, but the experience was still fun. Drove 6 hours to get there and was a little disheartened that I wasn't leaving with anything for my first trip but what can you do.

Plenty of M1C's and D's. Also, if you're looking for a fat beech stock, the WRA rack grades were the place to be, plenty of those. Plenty of WRA, HRA and SA field grades. Most looked to have been there a while, but one SA did have a somewhat rough JLG stock that probably would've cleaned up. The lonely 1917 parade rifles looked in poor shape and may or may not someday find a home. The M14 stocks were all pretty rough and most either had rubber buttplates or metal ones with the cover broken off.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:26 PM

101st_502nd, ha ha... you were one of the cool guys! I didn't take that Winny home. Fun stuff, there were a lot of rifles being passed around and big grins as a result.

I came REALLY close to taking home that WIN-13 as well (as did with at least three others). Nobody committed to that rifle for a good hour, during which time it was never set down in the rack!

I posted a posted a few pix of the rifle I did settle on in the Garand thread. I wasn't looking for a Winchester, and the heftier price tag, but there were a few gems that couldn't be overlooked.

I also brought home a pristine 5.8 SA, all correct with NM marked barrel, hiding in a CMP stock.

Tossed in a can of Greek 30.06 as well. Figured that while in the dog house, an extra c-note wouldn't cause much more damage.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:51 PM

pro2, thanks for taking the time to help others in the store who were looking for guidance. It looked like they really appreciated it. Glad you found a couple to take home and I bet they're great shooters.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:00 PM

I brought home, or rather am having the Win 13 rifle and a WWII SG SA being shipped to my home. I really did enjoy my visit today. The talking with the guys before the store opened was really fun. My wife and I made the trek here from Minnesota. It was my first experience at visiting the store and wanted to get a WWII rifle as my father was in the war enlisting in 1943. With the help of Pro2 and some of my other new friends I was able to get the WWII rifle and the Winchester. More coin for the Winchester but the fact they are hard to get and they didn't have any more of them to put out after these were gone had me buying the SA and the Winchester. The guys behind the counter are great to say the least. They also steared me in the way of the Win 13. They also helped me reassure my wife what an investment these rifles are. Many thanks to everyone who helped me out on my first, but not last visit, the the North Store. Even if I had walked out empty handed it would have been worth the visit. My suggestion to anyone who is wondering if they should take the drive is to certainly do so.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:07 PM

The 'two on a mission' weren't hoarding a bunch of rifles to pick over by themselves in the corner, were they? Ran into those a few months ago and really p..... me off.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_502nd View Post
pro2, thanks for taking the time to help others in the store who were looking for guidance. It looked like they really appreciated it. Glad you found a couple to take home and I bet they're great shooters.
We were all helping each other out... there were many rifles that passed between more than one hand before being set back down in the rack, or behind the counter. It is always fun, and a perpetual learning experience. At least half of my rifles were brought home based upon the nod from a more experienced CMP member.

yoteman, make sure you report back after sending some lead down range!