Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2019, 02:49 PM

Default M1D Barrel Block USGI or Reproduction?

I have a M1D scope mount barrel block that I would like to know if it is USGI or reproduction.I have had a few reproduction barrel blocks but this one looks different.The color of the park matches my USGI scope mount nicely.The hole for the pin is not perfectly round and there is also a small pin size hole above it that goes in about a 1/16 of an inch? I know USGI blocks are next to impossible to find but need to confirm what I have.I am going to list it for sale but do not want to mislead anyone.I am no longer able to post pics on this forum with my I pad using imgur.If someone does not mind posting pics for me,please let me know and I will email them to you.Thank you!
Old 10-01-2019, 08:44 AM

Feel free to send them to me, I will post them for you. I have a original one to compare to as well.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:07 AM

I bought a very nice looking block that I was told was USGI. The finish is right, but it is missing a radius on the rear end, which the block on my M1D has (and is on the drawing). I now think it is most likely to be an older reproduction.

I'd say that if it doesn't exactly match a known good example, you need to be skeptical until it can be proved to be real.

I'll be interested to see your photos.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:17 AM

Here you go.

Old 10-01-2019, 11:20 AM

Thank you for posting these!
Old 10-01-2019, 11:23 AM

You're welcome, I was comparing it to the one I have and notice a few differences, I don't have that extra hole, and maybe the bevel width on yours might be a bit wider. Maybe just the pictures.

Last edited by Pappy16; 10-01-2019 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:43 AM

This part looks basically the same as the one I mentioned above. Yours appears to have been welded (discoloration at the pin hole) and has an extra hole.

The problem is, in your second photo, that top (curved) edge and left side edges are supposed to be beveled. Also, in the first photo, both right and left edges should be beveled. If you hold it next to a real one (like on a rifle) you will see what I mean.

Like mine, I am going to call this one an older reproduction unless someone can refute that.
Old 10-14-2019, 01:39 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfield064 View Post
Any other thoughts on this block if it is usgi or repro?
USGI ones are SO rare that it is almost impossible to actually verify their existence in an unused condition. Unless you happen to find someone who stole one from the factory who manufactured the barrels or found a stash of them buried in the rubble when they tore the place down it will always be a crap shoot if the one you have is real.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:30 AM

Any other thoughts on this block?
Old 11-08-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfield064 View Post
Any other thoughts on this block?
Yes, M1D barrels left SA as an 'assembly,' I have never seen a GI M1D barrel block loose as surplus ever. The M1D barrel part number ending in 555 is only applied after the barrel block has been assembled and I think it's safe to say (99.9%) that any of these blocks seen 'loose' are fakes.

You can believe what you want and make excuses for these loose M1D barrel blocks but the facts are very clear.